sCIL Meeting Minutes
October 19, 2001
Barbara Miller CSU Fullerton
Deborah Moore Glendale Community College (volunteer scribe, e-style)
Judith Downie CSU San Marcos
Debbi Renfrow National University
Barbie McConnell CSU Fullerton
Suellen Cox CSU Fullerton
Stephanie Wical Palomar (student), Lab Assistant (Grossmont)
Rosemary McGill CSU Fullerton
Angelynn King University of Redlands
Judy Lee UC Riverside
Chad Kahl CSU Los Angeles
Round Robin Discussion
Topic: Current Fall Instruction Activities
Debbi Renfrow -- affirmation- instructor
Judy Lee -- What to do to reach Education
students; "it's like herding cats".
- online pre and post-test to test
incoming educ. students' levels. JD
- extra assignment which instructors
can integrate into their own course. DR
- form alliance with fac. dev. center
- come up with a tiered approach
(diff. needs of diff. groups/depts. so provide varied instruction at the right
time in a more programmatic style. Each step builds on the previous). SC
- they have diff. classes for Fresh/Soph
and Jr/Sr (capstone/senior thesis). Still may have students who never get
the instruction or get it many times. AK
What things do you avoid in BI?
- getting into NetLibrary
- Jstor and Project Muse
Angelynn When having problems
with student distraction, do a demo in a separate room with no student computers
and then take them into the computer lab.
Barbara -- split a big class of 60
people into 2 parts and do instruction separately.
Would WANs help with this problem?
Deborah Has anyone used laptops
and/or dedicated workstations with wireless technologies for instruction sessions?
(For those situations when library instruction labs are not available.)
This might be a good topic for a
workshop -- how do we deal with the increasing number of students attending
Cal. schools with the decreasing budgets we receive? (Panel discussion? Working
solutions session? Combination of the two? Panelists could be moderators for
small group break-out sessions and then they could come back together and report
what they came up with.)
11:40am Started meeting
Corrections to Septembers minutes:
Suellen pointed out that the room numbers should read PL instead of RM -- PL440
is the unnamed room on the list.
- Minutes from last meeting were
Treasurer's Report: Chad reported
that we have $3,313.81
- Treasurer's report accepted.
Proposed Bylaws Draft discussion
- Article 5, Section 2 -- Judith
Downie suggested changing the wording from "send out ballots" to "distribute
ballots" so we can hold elections at one of the live events.
- Judy stated that to find out the
exact number of sCIL members well need to consult Duffy or Ron Rodriguez,
the CARL Membership Chair.
- Judy asked if its a problem
for the first elections to take place in a different order from what the bylaws
say. It was determined that until the Bylaws are passed, we will operate under
the old Bylaws, so there is no problem.
- Article 10: Amendments to Bylaws
Discussion about how much time (20 or 30 days) is needed for notice
of proposed action before voting. Suellen suggested 30 days. This was agreed
- Judy noted the suggestion from
the last meeting of holding the election process in conjunction with the Open
House. Suellen recommended mail-in ballots. Judith suggested an online ballot.
(Secure but how do we know people don't vote more than once?) It was suggested
we could use a number for each sCIL member which they must enter on the online
form with their votes. Duffy could generate the numbers and the responses
could be sent to Judith for tabulation. (Judith volunteered to work with Duffy
- Judy asked whether having the
past-chair on the executive board is a good idea? Everyone agreed it is.
- With these changes, the Proposed
Bylaws Draft will be posted to the Web Site for review.
Regional Immersion Proposal
- It was decided that we should
send out a final notice asking for volunteers to host the Regional Immersion
program. Nov. 16 will be the deadline for proposing an institution as a setting
for regional immersion. Deborah will send out an email to the CARL list.
- We discussed the need to clarify
who will be on the proposal committee (Angelynn King has volunteered also).
Need to follow up with those who had previously expressed interest during
the summer of 2001.
- Chad mentioned that there were
a lot of complaints about the cost at the last regional ($1500). The need
to keep costs low was acknowledged.
- Concerns about such issues as
parking at places like UCLA and timelines for reserving dorm facilities were
- The deadline to the CARL Executive
Board for our initial draft proposal is their December meeting, December 10
(Oakland, will not be a teleconference).
CARL Preconference We have
decided not to do a CARL preconference due to time constraints and sCIL activities
already being planned. It was reported that CARL has received enough proposals
for the Preconference sessions.
Friday, Nov. 30, tentatively
at UC Riverside (with Claremont as a backup location)
Judy will let us know.
Thanks to Rosemary for providing
treats for the October meeting.
Next election could possibly be
as early as December 2001, depending on the Bylaws voting.
Winter Open House: Judy suggested
we do it at CSU Fullerton. There was also discussion about holding the Open
House at places like UCSB or San Diego in the future.
- Date for this years Open
House: Fri., Jan. 11 (CSU-Fs semester begins after Jan. 28).
- Possible topics: see panel
discussion idea from above. Get librarians from different types of libraries.
Barbara suggested including public librarians working with instruction issues
because we have to think about where our students are coming from. (They have
been to public libraries many times, but there is a different style of instruction
and reference in public libraries.) It was suggested that we invite public
librarians and have one as a panel speaker.
- Proposed Theme for Open House:
Staying Afloat in Tidal Wave II: Issues, Solutions, and Idea Generation.
We need to find a keynote speaker who knows a lot about the Tidal Wave II
population and could provide a profile. Who is that person?
- Room consideration: PL130
can hold up to 165 and then be split up. Or we can move to the other rooms
for smaller sessions.
- The keynote speaker can set the
stage; for example, "this is how the tidal wave is affecting Cal. schools"
(k-12, higher, where the crest is right now, etc.).
- Possible breakout sessions:
- Diversity and diverse learning
- Solutions for dealing with too
- Looking at technology uses as
one way to deal with too many students.
- Looking at tiered instruction
as another possible solution.
- Time: 9:30 refreshments;
10:00-1:00 programs; option of groups eating together for lunch.
- Suellen pointed out that there
is a Marriott on campus so some people could come up Thur. night and stay
on campus. Judith suggested we might be able to get special room rates.
- The idea of inviting Deb Gilchrist
to do assessment was supported both previously and at this meeting. This topic
might be a good one for a sCIL Spring Program. Another popular theme we could
use for a separate program is "using technology for (library) instruction".
Meeting was adjourned at 1:00pm