SCIL Meeting Minutes


September 9, 2005

California State University, Fullerton

Fullerton, CA

 

 

Attendees:

 

Angela Boyd (East Los Angeles College), Gale Burrow (Claremont Colleges), April Cunningham (Saddleback College), Avril Cunningham (CSU Pomona), Katy Farrell (UC San Diego), Nancy Getty (Glendale Community College), Catherine Haras (CSU Los Angeles), Maryann Hight (Soka), Lynn Lampert (CSU Northridge), Tracey Mayfield (CSU Long Beach), Deborah Moore (Glendale Community College), Val Ontell (San Diego Mesa College), Melanie Remy (University of Southern California), Debbi Renfrow (UC Riverside), Stacy Shotsberger Russo (CSU Fullerton), Elisa Slater (Loyola Marymount University), Dominique Turnbow (UC Los Angeles), Duffy Tweedy (UC San Diego), Chisa Uyeki (CSU Los Angeles), Amy Wallace (CSU Channel Islands), Kimberly Wilcox (Azusa Pacific University), Emily Woolery (Mt. San Antonio College)

 

 

I.          Welcome and Introductions

 

II.         Agenda Approval/Adjustment

 

III.        Minutes

 

June minutes were approved electronically and Duffy Tweedy posted them to the website.

 

IV.        Continuing Business

 

A.         LOEX 2007 Planning

 

Melanie Remy shared we have signed the contract with the Bahia.  SCIL has also appointed three coordinators:

 

Facilities – Duffy Tweedy

Program – Amy Wallace

Registrant Communications – Tracey Mayfield

Note: Tracey may change the name of this coordinator position to ease confusion about who takes registration.  Although LOEX takes registration, several interested parties have already contacted Tracey about how to register.

 

The coordinators will form committees.  Meeting attendees volunteered for various committees.  In addition, Debbi Renfrow will draft a call for volunteers and will send it to the coordinators for their review.

 

Melanie is still negotiating support with CARL.  Melanie gave the board three options in June; however the Board would like to see a more detailed budget report before committing their support.  Melanie and Duffy Tweedy will draft a memo to send to Suellen Cox by Friday, September 16.  The original three options for support included:

 

Refreshments for breaks:         $4,200.00

Welcome reception:                  $3,700.00

Honorariums for speakers:        $1,800.00

 

Planning is on schedule according to the tentative timeline, which is posted at: http://clics.ucsd.edu/scil/loex/loextimeline.html.  Upcoming planning includes:

 

Develop theme – November 2005

SCIL will discuss themes at the next meeting.  Please e-mail suggestions to Amy Wallace.  Once the theme is established, potential speakers can be identified.

 

Meet with LOEX Director, Theresa Valko – January 2006 (at ALA Midwinter)

It has been suggested that coordinators also meet with the librarians, who are planning the LOEX in Maryland.

 

B.         SCIL Elections

 

Deborah Moore, SCIL’s past chair, will coordinate elections with Gale Burrow, Nancy Getty, and Chisa Uyeki.  Open offices include Vice Chair/Chair Elect, Registrar, and Secretary.  Elections will also include a bylaws change to modify the timeline of elections.  The schedule will follow:

 

September 23  Announcement and call for nominations

October 13       Deadline for nominations

October 21       Candidates biographies and statements due

October 28       Biographies posted on election web site

November 1-15            Elections

 

The elections committee will discuss potential candidates and post a call for nominations.  They will confirm that all voters are SCIL members and will contact all candidates prior to announcing new officers.  They plan to contact candidates before Thanksgiving.

 

C.         SCIL Works 2006 Planning

 

SCIL plans to hold SCIL Works on February 3, 2006.  Meeting attendees selected two potential locations – CSU San Marcos (1st choice) and Claremont Colleges (2nd choice).  Melanie Remy will contact Gabriela Sonntag to inquire about CSU San Marcos’ interest and availability.  Debbi Renfrow will send a “save the date” announcement once the location is set, including the CARL newsletter, if the deadline has not passed.

 

Gale Burrow, Katy Farrell, and Catherine Haras will request and review speaker proposals, following this timeline:

 

September 23  Call for proposals

October 17       Proposals due

October 26       Speakers notified of acceptance

 

Meeting attendees discussed various themes – assessment, project management, professional development, collaboration with faculty, practical skills in classroom, discipline specific instruction, instructional program management.  A tentative topic was selected:  “Information Literacy:  Distributed Learning in Time and Space.”  Katy Farrell will type up a description and forward it to Melanie.

 

D.         CARL 2006 SCIL/CCLI Pre-conference Proposal

 

Amy Wallace submitted SCIL’s proposal for a CARL 2006 Conference Pre-Conference, and it was accepted.  The pre-conference, “Beyond Usage Statistics:  WASC and Library Contributions to Educational Effectiveness and Student Learning,” will be held Friday, April 21, from 1:00 – 4:00 p.m.  Amy is coordinating the session with the California Clearinghouse on Library Instruction-North.

 

Amy anticipates two parts to the session.  Part 1 may include a panel of speakers, including someone from WASC, a librarian who was been on a WASC visiting team, a librarian working with WASC on campus, and a librarian experienced with the new WASC accreditation process.  Part 2 may include an activity looking at where learning occurs in the library, and how libraries are measuring this learning.  SCIL members are asked to forward names of potential speakers to Amy.

 

E.         New SCIL Logo

 

Debbi Renfrow will draft a call for designs and will share it with Duffy Tweedy.  Once all designs are received, Duffy will post them on the SCIL web site for a vote.  SCIL wants to stress to participants that the logo becomes SCIL’s to modify as needed; however, credit will be given to the creator on SCIL’s web site.  Sketches are also acceptable as Duffy has students, who can transfer sketches into a graphic design.

 

F.         Spring Program

 

Melanie Remy stated we need to post information from the 2005 Spring Program.  Katy Farrell is still awaiting charts from one or two tables, and she is still awaiting information from Dr. Jeff Liles.  SCIL will simply post the information that is currently on hand, and Debbi Renfrow will send an announcement to SCIL when the information is online.  Finally, Katy distributed evaluations of this program.

V.         New Business

 

A.         CARL Newsletter

 

Debbi Renfrow will clarify the deadline for newsletter submissions with Jean Purnell, CARL president.

 

B.         Next Meeting

 

October 14, 10:30 a.m. – Soka University

*Note: Thank you to Maryann Hight, who volunteered to take minutes at the October 14 meeting in Emily Woolery’s absence.

December 2, 10:30 a.m. – CSU Long Beach

January 13, 10:30 a.m. – Claremont Colleges

 

VI.        Round Robin

 

Judith Downie sent an announcement about CSUL-S planning a November 18 tour of the Nixon Library.  Look for more information on CARLALL listserv.

 

Melanie Remy shared an e-mail posted to the SCIL listserv on September 8 by Duffy Tweedy.  ALA Library Instruction Round Table (LIRT) seeks articles for its Top 20 list of library instruction articles for 2005.  Send citation information to Esteban Valdez (evaldez@ucsd.edu) by December 15.

 

VII.                   Adjournment

 

 

Minutes recorded by Emily Woolery.