Hispanic Serving and Undergraduate Success Librarian
San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative, and service-oriented candidates for the position of Hispanic Serving and Undergraduate Success Librarian. This position is appointed at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
● Develop and coordinate library programs that support undergraduate writing and the needs of Hispanic college students, including cross-border partnerships with our sister libraries in northern Baja California;
● Coordinate undergraduate library instruction for writing courses for Rhetoric & Writing Studies, international students, and the American Language Institute;
● Establish collaborations with the SDSU Writing Center;
● Work closely with librarians to design information literacy curricula, online tutorials, and face to face instruction for undergraduate writing courses;
● Proactively seek partnerships with faculty and students in the subjects of Chicana/o Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, and Latin American Studies;
● Take a leadership role in planning, implementing, and assessing collections and services in support of the research and educational missions of the relevant academic departments;
● Initiate and conduct course-related information literacy instruction in the relevant subject areas, as well as provide general undergraduate information literacy education;
● Maintain existing online research guides and work with programming staff to develop innovative online research tools for supported subjects;
● Participate as a general reference librarian, as well as provide subject specific support for Chicana/o Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, Latin American Studies and related disciplines;
● Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on library, campus-wide, and California State University committees as needed.
● ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree;
● Experience providing library instruction to undergraduate students;
● Subject knowledge in one or more or the following fields of academic study: Chicana/o Studies, Spanish and Portuguese, and Latin American Studies;
● An understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in undergraduate library instruction and the needs of Hispanic college students;
● Knowledge of emerging issues and technologies in undergraduate library instruction;
● Experience working with multicultural and international student groups;
● Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills;
● Ability to work effectively in collegial environments;
● Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community;
● A demonstrated commitment to fostering diversity;
● Proficiency in Spanish language, spoken and written.
● Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession;
● Experience working with faculty, researchers, staff, and students;
● Experience with collection development;
● Experience in the development of online tutorials or web guides;
● Experience with learning management systems, such as Blackboard.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian with a salary range of [$58,044-$65,000].
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor’s degrees in 89 areas, master’s degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 21 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 34,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
Please submit the following documents via Interfolio at http://apply.interfolio.
This position will remain open until filled. Reviews will begin immediately. Anticipated start date is spring semester 2015.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status. For more detailed information, visit http://oerc.sdsu.edu/
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.