Project Archivist – Museum of Man
The San Diego Museum of Man (SDMoM) is accepting applications for a Project Archivist to aid with the cataloging of a collection of 25,000 historic photographs, as well as over 7,000 archaeological site records with associated archival materials. This is a grant funded temporary position ending on February 28, 2017.
The Project Archivist will be responsible for prioritizing collections for processing and creating effective work plans to ensure project completion. The Project Archivist will also be responsible for archival housing, digitizing, cataloging, and organizing of the photography collections. The Project Archivist will report to the Director of Collections, will work closely with the Registrar and the Assistant Archivist, and will assist in recruiting and managing project staff and interns.
· Consult with the Director of Collections to identify priority collections for processing.
· Process prioritized collections, including writing and revising processing plans, carrying out physical organization and arrangement, describing collections in the PastPerfect database, and creating finding aids in accordance with SDMoM and professional archival standards.
· Consult with the Director of Collections to set the direction for the management and care of photography collections to ensure they are compatible with the overall strategic direction of the museum.
· Reconcile ledgers, inventories, and documentation relating to the photography and slide collection.
· Maintain records in PastPerfect and Piction in accordance with best museum and archival practices to ensure the long-term preservation and easy retrieval of materials.
· Address basic physical preservation needs for all archival materials.
· Write and encode detailed finding aids, including information on context and related collections for delivery to the Online Archive of California.
· MLS from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent degree with a specialization in archival studies.
· Two to four years of experience in working with photographic and archival collections.
· Demonstrated understanding of archival collections and principles of arrangement and description.
· Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills. Willingness to work on a team.
· Evidence of both professional initiative and flexibility.
· Familiarity with managing and preserving digital assets. Knowledge of metadata standards.
· Archival processing experience, including the authoring of a finding aid.
· Strong writing and oral communications skills.
· Familiarity with Encoded Archival Description.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and Microsoft Outlook.
· Experience with collections database software.
· Digital processing experience, including experience in digital assets management.
SDMoM offers a unique work environment where team members are dedicated to supporting each other, the organization, and its mission/vision. We offer excellent benefits, including professional development opportunities and free admission to many Balboa Park institutions. Additional benefits include: generous vacation and sick leave; health, vision, dental, and life insurance. The annual salary for this position is $35,000.
Please submit cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. No phone inquiries, please.