Title: Reference and Instruction Librarian
Reports to: Associate Director, Library
Status: Exempt; Full-time, 9 months
Dominican is seeking an experienced and dynamic Reference and Instruction Librarian. Librarians are non-tenured faculty who provide instruction, reference, and research assistance for the Dominican community. Librarians participate in the design and implementation of library services, policies, and programs. Occasional evening and weekend shifts are required.
- Teach and develop in-person and online information literacy, lectures, tutorials, and workshops to expand students knowledge and use of continually evolving skills required to find and evaluate information.
- Serve as a liaison to academic departments, promoting faculty awareness, use, and development of library resources and working with faculty to embed information literacy at the course level.
- Provide research assistance in person at the reference desk and online to students, faculty and community members in all subject disciplines.
- Engage in professional development activities in support of the library and information literacy program.
- Be prepared, with mentoring, to assume other professional responsibilities, as assigned by the Associate Director.
- May participate in the University shared governance structure and serve on faculty governance committees, as appropriate.
- May participate in the development of Library and University-wide programs and initiatives.
- Uphold academic performance standards and integrity.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school
- Demonstrated teaching experience or familiarity with the pedagogical skills required to teach information literacy at a university level
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective reference assistance to patrons of a research–oriented academic library
- Demonstrated familiarity with evolving library technology and trends in reference, instruction, and information literacy
- Ability to work as a team member and to participate effectively in a collegial academic environment
- Substantial teaching experience, particularly at a university level
- Substantial familiarity with the literature of one or more academic disciplines
- Demonstrated experience in library software, areas, or initiatives such as online tutorials, webcasts, LibGuides, assessment, citation management tools, or student, community, and faculty outreach
Additional Position Information
- Priority will be given to applications submitted by February 2, 2015; however additional applications may be considered until the position is filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. The University is located 12 miles north of San Francisco nestled in the foothills Marin County. Over 73% of our faculty members hold a PhD or the highest degree in their field of expertise, mirroring the percentage of doctorates at research universities. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 15 with a small-town feeling in a park-like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Click the hyperlink below or cut/paste it into your browser and scroll to the bottom of the posting. Click the option, “Submit your resume/CV to this job”
- Click “Submit your Resume/CV to this Job” button
- A cover letter is required
- For further questions on the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link: https://dominicanuniversity.
For More Information Contact:
Amy Gilbert, Associate Director, Library
50 Acacia Ave
San Rafael, CA 94901
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment.