UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY
Reference and Instruction Librarian (50%-time position)
Thomas J. Long Business Library
Hiring range: Assistant Librarian I – Associate Librarian IV
Full-time salary range: $47,544 – $58,188, depending upon qualifications
This is a 50%-time, one-year temporary appointment available starting August 2012.
- This half-time position reports to the Head of the Long Business Library. The Reference and Instruction Librarian will:
- Provide reference and instruction services for students and faculty in the Haas School of Business.
- Develop course guides for undergraduate and MBA courses.
- Participate in collection development activities of the library, including selection of print and digital resources.
- UC Berkeley librarians are expected to participate in library-wide planning and governance, to work effectively in a shared decision-making environment and to be active professionally. Professional contributions beyond the primary responsibilities are required for advancement in the Librarian series. The successful candidate will show promise or evidence of such contributions.
- MLIS or equivalent degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills. Willingness to work in a team environment under the direction of the head librarian.
- Evidence of both professional initiative and flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population.
- Familiarity with business databases and resources, including SEC filings, market research, and company and financial data sources.
- Experience providing reference service.
- Experience creating instructional and information materials.
- Experience teaching library instruction classes in an academic environment.
- Evidence of or potential for professional contributions beyond the primary job, such as publications, leadership in University and professional organizations, and other research and creative activity.
The Library at the University of California, Berkeley is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make positive and imaginative contributions in a context of ethnic and cultural diversity.
Professional librarians at UC are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining agent, University Council – American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). This position is in the bargaining unit.
All Librarians (full and part-time) are entitled to appropriate professional leave, monetary support for professional development, vacation leave, sick leave, and all other benefits granted to non-faculty academic personnel. The University has an excellent retirement system and sponsors a variety of group health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans in addition to other benefits.
Deadline: Consideration will be given to applications received by August 3, 2012.
Applicants are encouraged to submit applications by e-mail. Applications should include a letter addressing the candidate’s qualifications; a full resume of their education and relevant experience; and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three references who are knowledgeable about their qualifications for this position.
Send applications to:
Susan E. Wong
Director, Library Human Resources
Library Human Resources Department
110 Doe Library
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-6000
Applications received via email preferred.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer
For the complete job announcement please visit http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/LHRD/BUSI_RefInst.html