Associate Director of Reference & Outreach
February 20, 2015
The Harriet K. & Philip Pumerantz Library at Western University of Health Sciences seeks an experienced librarian to serve as Associate Director of Reference3 & Outreach; this position will provide vision and strategic direction for the department, which includes reference and instruction services, marketing and outreach, liaison responsibilities, and in-depth research consultation services. Reporting to the Executive Director of the University Library, the incumbent will implement the library’s reference services goals in support of the university’s teaching and research programs and the information needs of students, faculty, and staff. This position will also oversee the activities of librarian liaisons and provide guidance to foster and support strong working relationships between faculty and librarian liaisons.
Founded in 1977, Western University of Health Sciences is a nonprofit, graduate university for the health professions. The university campus includes nine major buildings located on 22 acres in downtown Pomona. WesternU is one of the largest graduate schools for the health professions in California. Alumni rank among the very top leaders in health care and medicine throughout the country and the world. All of the health care programs have professional accreditations, and the university is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The Harriet K. & Philip Pumerantz Library offers its users a technologically advanced environment coupled with a commitment to reference, outreach, and innovation. WesternU librarians are expected to provide service to the library and to the university community. They are also expected to pursue professional development opportunities.
- A Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program or in a related field. Incumbent will be expected to continue upgrading knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to keep abreast of regulation/policy changes.
- Minimum of five years of experience in the provision of research and instruction.
- Minimum of three years of strong supervisory and team management experience.
- Broad background in and knowledge of higher education, academic libraries, and the publishing industry. Understanding of scholarly research and communication and of issues of ownership and access.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including ability to win the trust and confidence of faculty, librarians, and other library staff and to work effectively and collaboratively in a team-based organization. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly developed organizational and leadership skills.
- Demonstrated computer competencies, including Microsoft Office productivity applications. Experience with one or more learning management systems used in higher education.
- Bachelors’ degree in the sciences or subject background in the health sciences.
- Supervisory experience in an academic setting.
- Experience with social media and digital reference services.
This is a 12-month administrative position. Applicants should submit the following materials:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- List of three professional references (names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, email address).
Deadline to apply is April 10, 2015. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.