PART-TIME LIBRARY CONSERVATOR
AT THE GRADUATE THEOLOGICAL UNION LIBRARY
Graduate Theological Union Library
The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) is an ecumenical consortium of nine theological graduate schools. The GTU library provides library/information services to the GTU community.
The Library Conservator performs conservation and preservation activities in support of the mission of the Graduate Theological Union Library. The position is 18-19 hours a week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the conservation and/or preservation of damaged library materials: specify and perform in-house repair of damaged books including reattaching/reinforcing loose bindings, new cases, paper repair, map repair, book sewing, pamphlet and portfolio production. Coordinate daily conservation workflow, resolve problems, and oversee the dispatch of materials.
- Manage monograph and reference binding activities: prepare shipments, process invoices, resolve problems, receive and inventory returned materials. Serve as primary contact with Trappist Abbey Bookbindery and UCB Bookbindery.
- Responsible for all thesis processing including: preparation of theses and dissertations for binding; maintaining documentation of shipments; the creation of brief place-holder records in GRACE; process payments from individual schools; notify individual schools of pick-up deadlines; and resolving problems that might arise with the Trappist Abbey Bookbindery or Pro-quest.
- Management of off-site conservation treatments including: selection and measuring of brittle materials for enclosure; selection and preparation of materials for commercial rebinding; preparation of materials for appropriate reformatting processes; maintaining documentation of shipments, etc.
- Responsible for the preservation of Rare Books and other materials that are housed with the Special Research Collections including: evaluation for repair; mending; labeling; reshelving; shifting; and housing.
- Serve on the Library Disaster Planning and Response Committee.
- Monitor the climatic conditions of storage areas at the GTU Library, ABSW, and SFTS.
- Participate in the selection, installation, and monitoring of exhibited library materials.
- Assist in the management of the storage, exhibition, and preservation of works of art.
- Participate in the establishment of policies and procedures involving the handling and shelving of library materials throughout the library.
- Maintain statistics relative to conservation or preservation efforts undertaken and exercise stewardship of budget lines that support them.
- Maintain necessary supplies.
- Other tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least one year of bookbinding experience; library conservation preferred
- Demonstrated expertise with specialized tools/equipment associated with standard conservation practice
- Excellent manual dexterity
- Experience evaluating rare/fragile or valuable material for treatment
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to plan, organize and set priorities
- Strong proficiency with common office software: word processing, databases and spreadsheets
- Experience with bibliographic tools used in libraries (Millennium, preferred)
- Ability to lift and handle 50 lbs.
- Reading knowledge of one or more European languages desirable
This is an hourly, non-benefitted position. Compensation depends on experience.
Candidates should submit a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, salary requirements, and names/contact information for three professional references via mail or email to:
GTU Library Director
Part-time Conservator Search
Graduate Theological Union
2400 Ridge Road
Berkeley, CA 94709
E-mail: Caryl Woulfe, firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: August 10, 2015 or until filled.
GTU is an Equal Opportunity Employer