Outreach & Communications Librarian
Loyola Marymount University
The William H. Hannon Library seeks an imaginative, fun, and experienced librarian to lead the library’s programming, exhibition, marketing, publication, and orientation activities. We are looking for someone with strengths in building collaborative relationships, realizing a vision, and balancing a complex and dynamic calendar.
Loyola Marymount, founded in 1911, is a comprehensive university in the mainstream of American Catholic higher education. Located on the west side of Los Angeles overlooking the Pacific Ocean, LMU is one of the nation’s 28 Jesuit colleges and universities and five Marymount institutions. It serves 6,064 undergraduates and over 3,331 graduate students in the Colleges/Schools of Liberal Arts, Science and Engineering, Business Administration, Communication and Fine Arts, Film and Television, Education, and Law. Loyola Marymount seeks professionally outstanding applicants who value its mission and share its commitment to academic excellence, the education of the whole person, and the building of a just society. LMU is an equal opportunity institution actively working to promote an intercultural learning community. The library’s staff reflects the diversity of LMU’s student body and the greater Los Angeles area.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of the Library, the Outreach and Communications Librarian works with a team comprising the Programming Librarian, Library Events Manager, and Communications and Outreach Working Group (COWG) to plan, implement, and promote programs, exhibitions, and events, and systematically communicate with our users through publications, social media, advertising, digital signage, and other methods of communication and publicity.
The ideal candidate must have broad knowledge of current trends in higher education and academic libraries and experience in program planning and marketing in an academic library. Other skills and knowledge include: contributions to librarianship through publications, research, and participation in relevant professional associations, and service through University and library committee work.
· Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA accredited institution or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 2 years professional experience in library public services or non-profit public relations, public programs, or marketing.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the areas of assessing library services; web-based branding; public relations principles; and marketing techniques.
·Exemplary communication skills, both written and oral. Effective use of social media.
- Highly developed organizational and leadership skills in a public relations or public services setting. Ability to manage teams of colleagues with whom there is no direct reporting relationship to bring projects to satisfactory and timely completion.
- Ability to work effectively with and provide service for a diverse academic community.
Applicants should submit the following materials:
- letter of application
- a curriculum vitae or resume
- a list of three professional references (names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses).
Applications will be reviewed as they come in.
Inquiries should be addressed to:
Tobeylynn Birch, Associate Dean
William H. Hannon Library
Loyola Marymount University
One LMU Drive, MS 8200
Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659