California State University, Chico
DEAN OF THE LIBRARY (Administrator IV)
Posting Number: VA488
California State University, Chico seeks a visionary leader for the position of Dean of the Library to help support and transform the Meriam Library’s programs, services, and collections to meet the challenges of the 21st century. The Dean of the Library fosters the scholarship of university faculty, students, and staff; supports the growth and development of library collections and services; and leads the recruitment, retention, and management of diverse and talented library personnel. The position plays a leadership role campus wide and assures that library resources support the strategic priorities of the campus and Academic Affairs. The Dean reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and sits on the Senior Academic Affairs Leadership Team (SAALT), College Deans Group, and the Library Advisory Committee. The Dean also serves on the California State University System Wide Council of Library Directors and represents the library in the consortia of twenty three campus libraries. We seek candidates who understand and support the values of a public, comprehensive, residential campus, who value diversity and recognize the critical role of faculty, staff, and students in the life of the University, and who will participate in collaboration across departments, colleges, and divisions. The successful candidate for this position will have the opportunity to shape the evolution of the Meriam Library through the renovation of library space and collections, through innovation in library services, and through the development and implementation of a strategic plan for the future.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
• An ALA accredited master’s degree.
• A sustained record of scholarly and professional achievement appropriate to an appointment to the rank of full professor.
• A minimum of ten years professional experience in an academic or research library including a record of progressively responsible leadership and supervisory experience.
• Current or previous appointment to a position responsible for the management, budget, and personnel administration of significant library services.
• Ability to articulate a clear vision for the role of the academic library in a rapidly changing environment.
• Knowledge of current trends and challenges in academic publication and communication.
• Demonstrated experience in fundraising, including grants or philanthropy, public relations, and communication with University and external stakeholders.
• Significant experience in leadership roles and a collaborative management style that fosters trust, respect, and successful working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
• Commitment to promoting diversity consistent with the University’s Diversity Action Plan (http://www.csuchico.edu/prs/dap/12-13-2010.pdf) by creating a climate of support and advocacy that ensures the success of the diverse populations within the College.
• The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the applicable CSU Executive Order as a condition of employment.
• This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA ) designated managerial position and comes under the Management Personnel Plan (MPP ) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA ).
• This position is a “designated position” in the California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
• A valid California driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment in this position, as well as a successful completion and continued compliance of CSU Defensive Driving Course.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU . Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
• Since education is used a qualifying factor, a sealed, official transcript providing evidence of education attainment will be required from the successful candidate.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
Incumbent will need to be able to perform the essential job functions (duties) of this position with or without reasonable accommodation. This position alternates between remaining in a stationary position operating a personal computer for long periods of time and frequently moving about inside the office. Must be able to travel across campus to other offices and buildings for meetings and events.
WORK ENVIRONMENT :
This position involves frequent to constant interaction with students, parents, guests, faculty and staff. The office is a typical office environment with standard office equipment. This is a fast-paced environment requiring a flexible schedule. Early morning, evening or weekend hours may be required, as needed, including occasional travel.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/664615
California State University, Chico employs only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. California State University, Chico is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action, Americans with Disabilities Act employer. An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the California State University Police Department (530) 898-5555 or by accessing the following web site: http://www.csuchico.edu/up/
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.