San José State University
San José, California
ANNOUNCEMENT OF POSITION AVAILABILITY
Subject to Budgetary Approval
Specialization: Health Science Librarian
Rank: Senior Assistant Librarian (Part-Time Temporary)
• ALA accredited Master’s degree in Librarianship or its equivalent.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience using print and electronic library resources and services in a library setting.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with other librarians, support staff, teaching faculty and students in an evolving organization and rapidly changing information environment.
• One year experience working in a library setting.
• Applicants should have awareness of and sensitivity to the educational goals of a multicultural population, as gained through cross-cultural study, training, teaching and/or other comparable experiences.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in a health science-related area or equivalent work experience
• Familiarity with disciplinary information resources and databases
Expected duties in this position include the following:
• Provide quality reference service at the Reference Desk or through online tools during days, evenings, and/or weekends.
• Teach sessions for classes and groups as part of the librarians’ information literacy program.
• Perform collection management activities such as selection and evaluation.
• Develop online resources and bibliographic guides.
• Collaborate with colleagues to develop innovative services in areas such as outreach, marketing, and digital resources
• Candidate must address the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language and academic preparation – through course materials, teaching strategies and advisement.
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Starting Date: January 2, 2016
Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
Please mail the following items to the address listed below:
• Cover letter expressing qualifications and relevant experiences,
• A resume/CV of academic preparation, experience and qualifications,
• The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of 3 professional references
SJSU, University Library Attention: Evelia Sanchez One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0028
For full consideration, applications must be postmarked by October 31, 2015. If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide original transcripts, and three original letters of recommendation. Please contact the SJSU Library Human Resources Office at 408-808-2080 if you have questions.
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. The campus is located on the southern end of San Francisco Bay in downtown San José (Pop. 1,000,000), hub of the world-famous Silicon Valley high-technology research and development center. Many of California’s most popular national, recreational, and cultural attractions are conveniently close. A member of the 23- campus CSU system, San José State University enrolls approximately 30,000 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
San José State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. This policy applies to all San José State University students, faculty, and staff as well as University programs and activities. Reasonable accommodations are made for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Note that all San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The latest San José State University Safety 101 Uniform Campus Crime and Security Report is available. You may request a copy of San José State University’s annual safety report by contacting the University Police Department at (408) 924-2222 or by visiting the University Police Department website at (http://www.sjsu.edu/police.)