PAULINA JUNE & GEORGE POLLAK LIBRARY
DEPARTMENT OF TECHNICAL SERVICES
California State University Fullerton Pollak Library is seeking an energetic librarian who is innovative, technologically adept and service oriented, with a background in the life sciences or physical sciences.
The Science Librarian serves as library liaison and subject consultant to the College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics and participates in reference, instruction and outreach services for CSUF undergraduates, graduates, faculty and staff.
The successful candidate will:
- Participate in the Library’s extensive instruction program, planning, teaching, and assessing faculty-requested library instruction sessions.
- Provide reference and research assistance to the campus community in person and via virtual reference.
- Work with the Collections and Processing Unit to identify and select materials in subject areas, including science-related government information, develop accreditation reports, and monitor the approval plan.
- Create and maintain online science-related instructional materials and content for the library website.
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require taking part in scholarly and professional activities and serving on department, library, and university committees.
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Biology or Chemistry (or equivalent training and experience).
- Current experience in developing and teaching effective information literacy based library instruction sessions.
- Current experience in providing reference services and knowledge of academic databases
- Evidence of scholarly/professional activities (or interest/efforts toward such activities).
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment and on projects within other units of the library.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, staff, faculty, and community.
- Availability to work some weeknights and weekends.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
- Knowledge of current practice in scholarly communication in the sciences
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure track position and will be at the rank of either Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, defined benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; spouse/domestic partner/dependent fee-waiver as well as access to campus child-care. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.asp
January 4, 2016
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 8342BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications) addressed to Dr. Scott Hewitt, PhD, Interim University Librarian
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For questions about the position, please call: (657) 278-8254 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For full consideration, all application materials must be received by November 13, 2015. Applications will continue to be accepted until recommendations for appointments are made.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.