Sierra Community College District Application for Employment
Title: Reference Librarian
Category: Part-Time Faculty
Department: Learning Resource Center, Student Services
Position Equivalent FTE .65
Description: Part-Time Instructor – Reference Librarian
Part-time 22 hours per week position in the Reference Department, work hours to be determined based on the needs of the department. Assignment may include days, evening or weekends. Under the general direction of the Reference and Collections Librarian and supervision of the Dean of Learning Resources, the Librarian will be a member of a dynamic team of professionals charged with providing general and academic reference service to students, employees and members of the community through in-person, email, online, phone and chat modalities; teaching library instructional orientation sessions/workshops; assisting with inter-library loan and collection development; assisting students with the use of technologies, including library resources, computer software, printing, etc.; referring students to on- and off-campus resources as appropriate. The librarian will demonstrate a student-centered, customer-service oriented approach to her/his work and display a willingness to work as part of a team ensuring smooth library operations. Additionally, the librarian may assist in the planning, organization, coordination and implementation of various library services and programs that will seek to increase access, student retention and success.
EXAMPLES OF FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
Representative duties – the following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbent may not possess all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth to address changing needs and practices.
The part-time reference librarian
- demonstrates strong presentation/teaching skills, and is able to prepare independently for orientations/workshops, etc.;
- is able to communicate with staff and students in a clear and friendly manner; and works comfortably with a variety of people including students, faculty, staff and the general public in a diverse, multi-cultural workplace;
- demonstrates expertise in reference services, general and academic, using all current technologies to include in-depth research assistance, individual and group instruction, and general and subject-specific orientations;
- develops and delivers necessary training materials for traditional and new reference services, as well as online research guides;
- maintains awareness of and responds appropriately to patron issues as needed; attempts to resolve patron conflicts and a demonstrated aptitude for customer service;
- assists library patrons in the use of the library’s computers, including use of Microsoft Office, LibCal Reservation system, Pay to print system, and wireless network;
- has an understanding of the modules of a major integrated library system and systems of major library vendors.
- assists in selecting and deselecting library materials in a variety of formats and assists in collection maintenance as assigned.
- coordinates with the full-time reference and collections librarian on special projects as assigned. These projects may include duties such as the promotion of information literacy concepts in various digital formats across the curriculum, creation and implementation of learning modules in support of information literacy, reference, and web-based learning programs, collection development, analysis of program statistics, and exploration of emergent technologies and innovative programs in library service.
- serves as a liaison to various instructional departments and provides positive proactive outreach to faculty, staff and students; participates in the development and implementation of appropriate methods and procedures to optimize efficient and effective delivery of service to the College population; assists with services to increase access, student retention and success.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE GUIDELINES
Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution OR equivalent. A minimum of 2 years reference experience in an academic or comparable library environment including answering research question and assisting customers with the use of computers and online resources. Full knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Excellent presentation, teaching, and outreach skills that demonstrate a commitment to innovation and student success. Experience in a community college library is a plus.
These are part time faculty teaching assignments with the following salary rates:
Lecture Salary Rate: $55.46 – $70.90 per hour (five steps)
Lab Salary Rate: $38.82 – $49.62 per hour (five steps)
(Degree and years of acceptable teaching experience determine step placement)
Candidates should submit a Sierra College Part Time Faculty Application and copies of transcripts to the:
SIERRA COLLEGE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
5000 ROCKLIN ROAD
ROCKLIN CA 95677
In order to create a pool of qualified applicants, Sierra College accepts applications in all subject areas and conducts interviews for teaching positions throughout the year. Applications are kept in the hiring pool for a period of two years. The number of open positions varies from semester to semester. The Division Dean will contact you directly for an interview when a position becomes available.