by preparing, reviewing, and processing general, investment, grant, and other accounting transactions, as well as assisting the Assistant Controller with various internal/external audits.
Percent of Time:
50 – 30%
1. Provide General Accounting Services
• Preparing and entering journal entries; reviewing journal entries for appropriate coding, authorization and reasonableness
• Monitoring and reconciling assigned balance sheet accounts, and following through on reconciling items with Financial Services and constituents.
• Performing bank account reconciliations, and following through on reconciling items with Financial Services and constituents
• Maintaining and reconciling fixed asset and debt service accounting records
• Reviewing payment requests for appropriate documentation and accuracy. Identifying taxability issues and modifying payment requests accordingly (i.e. 1099 status, sales tax accrual, treaty status, etc.).
• Reviewing spend requests for proper coding and reasonableness
• Preparing payments of sales/use tax accrual and tax returns to the state and participating in sales/use tax audit
• Preparing/processing month, quarter, and year end general ledger closing and related transactions
• Monitoring, analyzing, and assisting in daily cash management duties
• Maintaining monthly financial reports for accuracy and completeness
• Assisting in compliance and regulatory reporting
50 – 20%
2. Provide Investment Accounting Services
• Maintaining investment sub-ledger accounting system
• Maintaining and reconciling asset accounting for trust and institutional investments
• Maintaining and reconciling unitized pooled investments, including spending policy income and gain appropriation
• Monitoring and reconciling settlement of pool cash balances for pooled investments
• Recording and reconciling non-cash gifts, as well as, processing the proceeds of sales of non-cash gifts
• Producing monthly and quarterly investment accounting reports for the Business Offices
50 – 10%
3. Provide Grant Accounting Services
• Reviewing payment requests spend requests, and journal entries for allowability of charges under grant terms
• Preparing and processing invoices to grantors and drawdown requests. Monitoring payments and following up when necessary
• Preparing post-award and ad-hoc status reports for grantors, institutions and auditors
• Recording grant set up and close transactions
• Providing assistance with post award grant monitoring
4. Assist with Internal/External Audits
• Preparing audit schedules.
• Providing assistance and responses to auditors.
• Participating in cross training with other team members and other teams
• Contributing to the team functioning as a consistent, knowledgeable and reliable resource for our constituents
• Performing other duties as assigned
Proficient in Microsoft Office products, with demonstrated strong skills in Excel. A demonstrated self-starter, with strong analytic, problem solving, critical thinking and research skills. Ability to communicate clearly in writing and orally. Strong customer service orientation and ability to work well with diverse internal and external constituents in a team-oriented environment. Demonstrated time management, multi-tasking skills and ability to meet deadlines in a busy environment. Ability to independently organize, prioritize and carry out responsibilities. Proficiency in various accounting software systems and other information technology, and the ability to learn new software. Ability to share knowledge and information and to learn new tasks. Project a professional image through dress, demeanor and office environment. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information. Possession and maintenance of a valid California Driver License and a DMV record that meets the requirements set by the College’s insurance carrier. Successful completion of criminal, DMV and credit background checks.