Librarian Access Services/Systems
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 3/28/2016
Mission College is now accepting applications from qualified persons interested in a Librarian position specializing in Access Services/Systems. This position oversees the daily operation of library access and public services and works co-operatively with the System’s Librarian at our sister college, West Valley College, on the management of the Integrated Library System.
We are looking for someone with a willingness to help our department grow and who will enjoy working with our diverse student body. Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, ability, and life experiences to address the cultural and educational needs of a linguistically and culturally diverse student population are encouraged to apply.
Mission College serves a region of the San Francisco Bay Area that includes urban neighborhoods, business centers and residential communities. Nestled in the heart of the Silicon Valley, Mission College enjoys an entrepreneurial and innovative energy supplied by its closest technology and business neighbors, while continuing to maintain its quality curriculum offerings for transfer and under-prepared students.
Applicants interested in teaching and working within an energetic, student centered culture that looks to the future would find Mission College a perfect fit.
This is a full-time, 10-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2016. The duties of librarians consist of library-related assignments and other responsibilities which are necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the librarian’s department, division, college and the District. Assignment may include various times of the day or evening, Monday through Saturday. This position is represented by the Association of College Educators and American Federation of Teachers (ACE AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Mission College, Santa Clara, CA
PLEASE NOTE :
We have begun a district-wide classification and compensation study. The compensation study will provide information on what other employers pay employees who are performing similar duties. The District will use this information to ensure that our employees are adequately compensated.
The classification & compensation study started in November 2014 and is expected to take approximately 12-18 months to complete. As a result of this study, it is possible for the compensation to change in this position opening.
Salary and Benefits:
• Anticipated Hiring Range: $53,557 to $83,349 annually, based upon academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
• Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
• Employer paid long term disability for employee.
• Voluntary life insurance.
• Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
• Banked leave provisions.
• Professional Growth and Development activities.
• 10 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
• Conference leaves.
• Opportunity for overload assignments.
• Cal STRS Retirement.
• Position is union affiliated with required dues.
1. Education – Possess any one of the following:
• Master’s degree in library science, or library and information science; OR
• A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Library Science; OR
• The equivalent of the above.
2. Demonstrated ability to effectively work with persons of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Library faculty duties and responsibilities may consist of one or more of the following:
• Provide leadership and coordination of access and public services staff, functions, and policies, including circulation, interlibrary loan, and reserves.
• Administration, maintenance, and support for all modules in the Mission College Library’s portion of the integrated library system, including loan rules, patron record management and interface requirements with Banner.
• Working cooperatively with the West Valley Systems Librarian
• Primary liaison with the ILS vendor for problem resolution.
• Keep abreast of new technical developments related to areas of responsibility.
• Work with students at the reference desk.
• Manage the acquisitions, technical processing, reference, circulation and audio-visual functions of the library.
• Provide reference assistance for students and staff.
• Evaluate, select and discard print and non-print library materials to keep the library collection current with curriculum.
• Provide instruction to students.
• Coordinate library activities with the instructional and counseling faculty.
• Assist in the hiring, training, and supervision of classified and student staff.
• Manage the library computer system.
• Participate in the Program Review and participate in the process of SLO assessment and evaluation and use the results of these assessments in the process of continuously improving student learning.
• Librarians may also be assigned to teach one or more library courses during a semester.
• Foster an environment that protects academic freedom within the college community.
• Foster a positive working environment that is free from harassment, prejudice and/or bias.
• Demonstrate a respect for the dignity of each individual.
• Assume institutional responsibilities, which are of value to the department, division, college and/or District such as: actively participate in the spirit of shared governance in department, division, college and district institutional responsibilities. Such responsibilities may include recruitment and hiring, class schedule preparation, budget development, performance appraisals, mentorship, supervision of support staff, student recruitment and retention, curriculum and program development and evaluation, program review, club advising, committees, accreditation, articulation, and other duties as assigned.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: http://apptrkr.com/764428
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741–2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright ©2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.