Chabot College, 25555 Hesperian Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545
Chabot – Library
This position is full-time, sabbatical leave replacement Academic Year 2016-2017. Work schedule will include at least one night per week. Employment will begin on or about August 15, 2016.
$60,228 – $86,103/annual
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Librarian for Chabot College in Hayward, California. This position is a Sabbatical Leave Replacement for the 2016-2017 Academic Year. This position reports to the Division Dean.
Representative Duties and Job Characteristics:
1) Teach effective research strategies in print and online resources.
2) Provide reference services in a multimedia environment to students, staff, and faculty.
3) Act as a library liaison to at least one instructional division and to help develop the library’s collection to support that academic discipline.
4) Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
5) Participate in campus and district professional activities; which may include, but are not limited to, committee membership, and staff meetings.
6) Assist in the development and maintenance of online library tutorials and the library’s web pages.
Minimum Education & Experience:
Master’s degree in Library Science, Library and Information Science, or the equivalent.
You will be required to upload your transcripts. You must upload all applicable transcripts, credentials, and/or certificates required to meet minimum qualifications for the position for which you are applying. Any degrees earned outside the United States must have an official US evaluation (course by course) of the transcripts and must be submitted with the application. In the case that the file you are uploading is too large or you do not have your transcripts readily available, please upload a document in place of stating you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, or by fax (925) 485-5254, by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Degrees in Progress: To be conferred on or before July 1, 2016 will be considered, provided that the applicant also submits (1) an up-to-date transcript, (2) a photocopy of the degree requirement from the school catalog, and (3) proof of current course(s) and enrollment. Please provide your explanation and background material by using the optional document upload called “Other Document.” If you are unable to upload the above, please upload a document in place of that states you will be sending the documents to the Office of Human Resources, 7600 Dublin Boulevard, 3rd Floor, Dublin, CA 94568, by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date.
Applicants applying under the “Equivalent provision” must provide details that explain at time of application how their academic preparation is the equivalent of the degree listed above. Please provide your explanation by using the optional document upload called “Equivalency Statement.”
Minimum Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Demonstrate sensitivity to and an understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical and/or learning disabilities.
Minimum Qualifications – Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Continued):
1) Experience providing instruction in an academic library.
2) Familiarity with information competency/literacy concepts and programs.
3) Awareness of various learning styles and teaching strategies.
4) Enthusiastic approach to working collaboratively with students, faculty, and staff including those who have not had an opportunity to use new technologies.
5) Willingness to facilitate student’s learning by working to develop varied and innovative learning environments.
6) Experience with HTML, CSS, Social Media technologies and web/mobile apps, multimedia and presentation software, including key web applications like Libguides 2 and online tutorials like Captivate.
7) Experience teaching classes utilizing effective search strategies to access resource.
8) Experience developing and teaching online courses.
9) Excellent interpersonal and team collaboration skills.
10) Interest and experience in promoting library services to a multicultural population.
11) Experience with Blackboard or other web course management software.
The following essay is intended to seek information regarding your ability to teach Library skills. Please write an essay of 200-250 words that discusses how to implement the concepts of information competency for traditional and non traditional students, both in an online as well as in a campus environment. Do not write your essay on the application form.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The purpose of the personal qualifications statement is for you to provide information on how your education and experience relate to the requirements and duties of the position. There is no form to complete. Applicants are requested to provide their personal qualifications statement by uploading a document, the same way as you do for your cover letter.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District reserves the right to close or not fill any advertised position.
Required Applicant Documents:
Personal Qualifications Statement
Transcripts / Credentials
Response to Supplemental Question #1