Please apply online at http://jobs.stmarys-ca.edu/
The Periodicals Manager (Part-time, 80%) is responsible for 15,000 online, print and newspaper subscriptions including major journal publisher package collections. Using Innovative Sierra Acquisitions online system, periodical agent (EBSCO) online tools, Excel and document management systems, tracks $300K in funds, orders, invoices & payments. Enables access through Open URL and Discovery systems by keeping knowledge-bases up to date. Provides oversight of print collections in house and in storage, and manages withdrawal projects, sharing with WEST and other periodical archives. The Periodicals Manager supervises one library assistant (1 FTE) and 3 student assistants (1 FTE). The Periodicals Manager also supervises materials processing for all library formats, including binding and preservation activities. Reporting to the Head of Collection Management, and as a member of the Collection Management Department, the Periodicals Manager contributes to planning, policy-making and documentation.
1. Oversight of Online Journal Packages: Establishes and maintains individual periodical journal package subscriptions and their associated fiscal, bibliographic, and receipt/holdings records.
2. Print Periodicals Acquisition / Collection Management: Establishes and maintains individual periodical subscriptions and their associated fiscal, bibliographic, and receipt/holdings records.
3. Fiscal / Budget management. Tracks $300K overall in periodicals, processing, preservation, and binding and student wage funds.
4. Maintains the organization, accessibility and integrity of the collection in all physical formats, including 35K bound volumes, and 500K microforms.
5. Materials Processing, Binding & Preservation
6. Supervisory, Department, and Team Responsibilities
7. Working with the Head of Electronic Resources & Periodicals, develops policies and assessment efforts to guide the development of the periodicals collection.
Experience & Qualifications
BA required and 3 year’s Library experience, with a minimum of one year directly related periodicals experience.
- Demonstrates successful supervisory, budgeting and bookkeeping experience.
- Excellent public-service outlook; ability to view periodicals management as a part of the College’s educational mission.
- Familiarity with Library serials control systems, online catalog systems, and shared bibliographic utilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external colleagues, through collaboration, cooperation, teamwork and communication.
- Talent for motivating and training staff, including student assistants.
- Ability to provide clear and effective instructions and procedures, both oral and written.
- Ability to listen to questions, and to determine the appropriate resources needed by staff.
- Ability to manage budgets totaling more than $200,000 through meticulous record keeping, thorough checking, and analysis.
- Initiative to plan and complete assignments independently.
- Skilled in use of computer word processing, database and spreadsheet software.