PAULINA JUNE & GEORGE POLLAK LIBRARY
DEPARTMENT OF TECHNICAL SERVICES
Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian
California State University Fullerton Pollak Library is seeking an energetic librarian who is innovative, technologically adept and service oriented, with a background in implementing and managing digital scholarship, publishing and scholarly communications programs at the university level.
The Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian is responsible for developing and maintaining services to faculty, students and researchers through the implementation and maintenance of a scholarly digital repository and other publishing options involving targeted outreach and educational support to the Cal State Fullerton campus population; monitors current developments in scholarly communications, authors’ rights, copyright law, Creative Commons licenses, open access, legislative initiatives, and institutional repositories; and shares that expertise with faculty, library staff, and students. The Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian works in collaboration with the California State University Chancellor’s Office personnel and with institutional repository managers across the CSU on system-wide projects.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience working with digital scholarship, digital libraries, and institutional repositories;
- Outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills;
- Project management experience, the ability to work collaboratively, and excellent problem solving skills;
- Knowledge of data management requirements for federal grants and publishers.
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require taking part in scholarly and professional activities and serving on department, library, and university committees.
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment.
- At least two or more years of experience with digital publishing, institutional repositories and digital library management.
- Considerable experience consulting with teaching faculty, administrators and/or students to recruit content for digital scholarship projects.
- Knowledge of high impact practices, pedagogy, problem-based learning and familiarity with undergraduate and graduate-level research.
- Evidence of engaging in scholarly/professional activities (or interest/efforts toward such activities).
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team environment and on projects within other units of the library.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with a wide and culturally diverse range of students, staff, faculty, and community.
- A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Knowledge of current trends and issues in scholarly publishing, author self-archiving and publishers’ policies, as well as knowledge of specific digital libraries and institutional repositories software.
- Experience managing data in a Fedora-based repository system.
- Experience creating and maintaining webpages in a Drupal content management system.
- Proficiency in a variety of metadata standards, such as EAD, MSL, RDF Dublin Core, MODS, and state-of-the-art digitization practices.
- Experience with text layout and web design, HTML5, CSS, PHP/MySQL.
Rank & Salary
This is a tenure track position and will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, defined benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; spouse/domestic partner/dependent fee-waiver as well as access to campus child-care. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payroll_benefits/HealthCarePlans.asp
August 15, 2016
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/facultyrecruitment to view all job listings and select 8747BR to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of interest (relating your experience to the required qualifications) addressed to Dr. Scott Hewitt, Interim University Librarian
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of reference (see instructions below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the recruitment system.
For questions about the position, please call: (657) 278-4460 or email email@example.com.
For full consideration, all application materials must be received by
June 17, 2016 until filled. Applications will continue to be accepted until recommendations for appointments are made.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply. EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.