The faculty of the University Library at California State University, Dominguez Hills invites applications from individuals for a twelve month temporary (two years) Systems Librarian position in the Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services department. The Systems Librarian provides technical expertise, day-to-day administration, and broad support for traditional and emerging library software solutions and standards in order to maximize patrons’ access to academic information. Initially, the Systems Librarian will both serve as the administrator for the integrated library system (Millennium) and assist in the transition to the new unified library management system (Alma) that will replace it. The successful candidate will:
- Coordinate and direct data maintenance and associated clean-up efforts in both current library systems and the new ULMS.
- Coordinate and collaborate with library faculty and staff to evaluate and document current library workflows and procedures.
- Collaborate with the Chancellor’s Office and other CSU campus libraries to create and implement best practices in the new unified environment.
- Coordinate and collaborate with campus IT concerning library systems and networking issues.
- Oversee troubleshooting of Alma and Primo.
- Engage in professional development activities in support of library technologies and systems.
- Compile and interpret systems related statistics and prepare reports.
- Develop and maintain systems related documentation, policies, and procedures.
- Provide input to the Library Dean on technology budgeting, reporting, and compliance issues.
- Participate in the continued improvement of the library’s overall web presence, incorporating appropriate content strategies, design principles, information architecture, coding standards, and emerging technologies.
- Keep abreast of the latest technology developments and trends in academic libraries.
- Participate in the library’s liaison program, providing research consultation, instruction, and outreach to assigned departments
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution.
- Experience working with integrated library systems and discovery tools.
- Working knowledge of MARC and non-MARC metadata formats, standards, and schema (e.g. Dublin Core, METS, MODS, EAD, etc.).
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to effectively participate in the library’s liaison program in the areas of research consultation, instruction, and outreach.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to carry out complex projects in a rapidly changing environment.
- A positive attitude, excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and vendors.
- Two years’ experience supporting library systems, platforms, and software in an academic library setting.
- Experience with EZProxy or Innovative’s WAM.
- Proficiency with HTMLS/CSS coding and one or more scripting languages.
- Experience engaging in iterative user-centered website testing and redesign in order to improve access and user experience.
- Experience supporting web-based content management systems.
- Working knowledge of database technologies such as MySQL, Microsoft Access, etc. to manipulate and query structured data.
- Experience in managing, implementing, or integrating with discovery layers such as Encore, Summon, Primo, etc.
- Experience working with faculty and other campus constituencies within a liaison librarian model.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in research and other scholarly activities.
- Evidence of flexibility, innovative thinking, knowledge of emerging library technologies and trends, and a vision for the future of academic libraries.
How to Apply
While the position will remain open until filled, review of applications will begin on June 27, 2016.
For the full position description and application procedure, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/gl6h8jc