Job Title/Job Code: Senior Librarian Department: Community Services/Library Division
PAY RANGE: $35.94 – $41.57 per hour
The City of Torrance is seeking a flexible, detail-oriented Senior Librarian who will, under direction, manage a branch library or specialized library function. In addition, the incumbent will plan, organize, and supervise the activities of subordinate personnel and perform related work as required. If you have a passion for libraries and are searching for an environment to build your supervisory skills, apply to be a part of the Torrance Library Services Division today!
*This position requires availability for evening and weekend shifts.
- Employees receive retirement benefits through the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) which is funded through contributions from both the employer and employee.
- Employees currently contribute 6.2% toward Social Security and 1.45% toward Medicare.
- Deferred Compensation Plan available.
- Excellent Health, Dental, Vision plans, and Life Insurance.
- Flexible spending which provides tax free options for medical, dental, and childcare expenses.
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Paid vacation and sick days
Any combination of education and experience that would have provided the required knowledge and skills is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and skills would be:
Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited college or university; and Three (3) years of professional public library experience in area of responsibility.
In addition to the minimum requirements the ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to effectively interact with staff, outside vendors, and the public.
- Strong supervisory skills and experience.
- Ethical, professional, and team-oriented mindset.
- Strong decision-making, planning, and scheduling skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications for library services, including MS Office, complex databases, mobile, technologies, and internet searching.
- Current collection development skills across many formats.
- Experience with public outreach and programming.
- Ability to work regular evening and Saturday hours.
Interested candidates must submit an online application and supplemental questionnaire at www.TorranceCA.Gov/Jobs. The application filing period opens Friday, July 15, 2016 at 7:30 A.M. and closes Friday, July 29, 2016 at 5:30 P.M.
Only those candidates who best meet the City’s needs will be invited to participate in the examination process, which will consist of the following components:
Written-Supervisory Skills Assessment: 40%
Structured Oral Board: 60%
Writing Exercise: Pass/Fail
Applicants with disabilities who require special testing arrangements must contact Human Resources prior to the final filing date.
As a condition of employment, candidates must pass a background check and a pre-employment medical examination.
The provisions of this announcement do not constitute an expressed or implied contract, and any provisions contained in this announcement may be modified or revoked without notice.