Job Title: Undergraduate Experience Librarian (Tenure Track – 12 Month)
Job ID: 101709
Location: Sacramento Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
California State University, Sacramento is located in the heart of Northern California, one of the most beautiful, diverse and rapidly growing areas in the country. The 300-acre campus, just five miles from the State Capitol, is situated along the American River parkway that offers miles of trails and recreational access to the city’s two rivers, Folsom Lake and the historic Sacramento riverfront. Growth in the region has provided significant opportunities for faculty research and engagement with civic and business organizations as well as extensive research and internship opportunities for the University’s approximately 27,500 students. The University, where quality teaching is a top priority, offers instruction leading toward the bachelor’s degree in 58 disciplines, the master’s degree in 41 disciplines, two independent doctoral degrees and one joint doctoral degree, and houses numerous research and community service centers.
Sacramento is a high-growth metropolitan area with a very diverse population of approximately 2 million. As California’s capital, Sacramento is an advantageous setting for premier academic programs. As a major metropolitan university, California State University, Sacramento is committed to providing leadership in addressing significant regional needs and to enriching its liberal arts tradition. The proximity of California State University, Sacramento to the California legislature and other agencies of state and federal government provides unparalleled opportunities for faculty and students to participate in public service through policy research internships, and employment.
Hiring Dept. Information
As the center of campus intellectual discovery, the Sacramento State University Library promotes teaching, learning, research, and scholarly communication at the University by integrating the Library with campus student success programs and instruction. One of twenty-three libraries in the California State University System, the Library holds over 1.4 million volumes, comprised of print and electronic monographs and serials, and is a Federal Document Depository. The Library’s mission is to inspire excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarly activities.
The University Library is undergoing rapid transformation with new leadership, a forward-thinking vision, and a deep commitment to improving the campus learning environment. We welcome individuals with diverse backgrounds to join our growing organization of over 20 Library faculty, 25 staff and approximately 20 FTE student assistants.
A successful California State University, Sacramento faculty member promotes the values celebrated by a public, regional, comprehensive, metropolitan university. At Sacramento State, the quality of the education we provide is our top priority. In addition to contributing positively to teaching and learning, faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and to provide service to the University and to the greater community. Our campus community represents the broad diversity of our state, and we believe that all are enriched and unified by this diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people with the commitment and ability to work with a diverse student population.
Sacramento State University seeks a creative, energetic, and dynamic Undergraduate Experience Librarian. The successful candidate will report to the Head of the Reference and Library Instruction Department and is responsible for designing, developing and implementing library programs in collaboration with the University First Year Experience and other student service programs for freshmen and newly transferred students. Working with these key campus partners, this position will develop targeted pathways that enhance student’s first interactions with the University Library.
– Develops and coordinates scalable library programs to reach first-year and transfer students
across colleges, departments, and other campus partners in conjunction with campus
– Responsible for programming for new students including first year and transfer students.
– Provides effective and scalable online instruction modules, research guides and other
learning objects for first year/transfer students.
– Designs, develops, creates, implements, and evaluates digital learning objects in support of
information literacy and library instruction.
– Assesses the impact of first year and transfer library programs on student learning outcomes
and retention/graduation rates.
– Builds relationships and communicates regularly with University units and programs that
support the undergraduate experience.
– Acts as the point-person for Library welcoming events.
– Provides reference and research consultation for students in-person or using alternative
– Schedule includes some evening and weekend assignments.
– Other duties as assigned.
Scholarly or creative achievement, contributions to the Library and the University, professional development, and contributions to the community are all responsibilities of Library Faculty.
– American Library Association accredited Master’s degree, or equivalent credentials in
information science or from foreign universities.
– Experience in embedding information literacy into the undergraduate curriculum.
– Demonstrated understanding of the learning and research process, especially as it relates to
– Demonstrated teaching ability and a commitment to undergraduate student learning.
– Demonstrated service orientation, interpersonal skills, and organizational skills.
– Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
– Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse populations that are reflective of a wide
range of backgrounds and cultural heritage and social identities.
– Two-year professional librarian or teaching experience or equivalent.
– Experience in collaborating with campus partners to include information literacy instruction
into the general education program in the undergraduate curriculum.
– Experience in instructional programmatic planning.
– Experience incorporating technology into reference and instruction services.
– Knowledge of instructional design theory, principles and practices.
– Experience with outreach, marketing, and promotion of library services and resources to the
campus and regional community.
– Experience with program assessment related to student success.
This is a full-time (12-month) tenure track position at the Assistant/Senior Assistant Librarian rank with an expected start date in Fall 2016.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
Review of applications will begin on August 24, 2016; position is open until filled.
Applications are only accepted through the Sacramento State jobs website located at http://www.csus.edu/about/employment. Instructions on how to apply can also be found at this link. External applicants can apply by clicking on the Faculty, Staff, and Management Opportunities link. Internal applicants can apply by logging on My Sac State.
Applicants must include the following attachments with the application:
1. Cover letter.
2. Current curriculum vitae/resume.
3. The names and contact information of at least three professional references.
4. Unofficial transcripts attesting to the highest degree earned (official transcripts required if
invited for interview/upon hire).
5. Required Diversity Statement (Please limit to 500 words)
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, Sacramento
State is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching and working
environment for all. What contributions are you most proud of that exemplify your
awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusionary environment? What have you
learned working with diverse populations?
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification.
For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Child Abuse and Neglect Report
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
For questions regarding application requirements for Job #101709, please send an email to email@example.com. Please include the Job ID # in the subject line of the email.