Position #: 17/18 LIB 01
Position: Library Electronic Resource Management Coordinator
Type: 12-month, Tenure-Track / Probationary Rank: Senior Assistant Librarian
Available: July or August 2017
Location: Walter W. Stiern Library
Eileen Montoya, Administrative Support Coordinator II
Search and Screening Committee
California State University, Bakersfield
Walter W. Stiern Library (Mail Stop: 60 LIB)
9001 Stockdale Highway
Bakersfield, California 93311-1022
Phone: (661) 654-3042 Email: email@example.com
Description: California State University, Bakersfield seeks a productive and effective librarian for Electronic Resource Management Coordinator (ERM). The successful candidate will make significant professional contributions to the Walter W. Stiern Library, a teaching-learning facility fully integrated with technology to support the overall mission of the University. The library, with 150,000 square feet on five levels, opened in 1994, and contains more than half a million physical and wide-ranging digital resources. The library is a major campus technology center that is actively involved in student learning and is a hub for public and campus engagement.
Responsibilities: Reporting directly to the Dean of the Library, the ERM Coordinator will work collaboratively with users, library colleagues, vendors, and CSU Chancellor’s Office personnel to provide, manage, and maintain timely access to all the library’s electronic resources including subscription databases, full-text article links, e-books, and other e-resources; implement and provide easy access to all e-resource usage data and analysis.
Examples of ERM responsibilities include:
- Monitor, update, and maintain searchable indices in the system public interface and link resolver (currently SFX, Primo Central, Alma)
- Initiate, configure, and troubleshoot link resolver and proxy server issues with the assistance of the Systems Analyst
- Create and implement ERM workflows and technical access issue reporting
- Configure and monitor COUNTER and SUSHI statistics reporting monthly in Alma
- Manage, import/export, backup, and support the digital institutional repository content
- Provide assistance with cataloging duties as needed
- Be responsible for the Library’s print and electronic government documents collection
The ERM Coordinator will take part in library reference services, teaching, collection development, liaison responsibilities, committee assignments, and other duties as assigned. Librarians are members of the faculty and are expected to engage in scholarly research and service as a requirement for retention, promotion, and tenure. Work schedules will include day, evening, and weekend hours depending upon institutional needs.
- Masters in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic access management including:
- Link resolver and proxy server operations
- Open URL resources
- Authentication programs
- Technical and access issues o Configuring and monitoring COUNTER and SUSHI monthly statistics reporting
- Using spreadsheets, data report tools, and data analysis methods
- Doing basic cataloging including knowledge of MARC, RDA and/or Dublin Core
- Developing SpringShare LibGuides
- Working with e-resource licensing and copyright issues
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Commitment to excellence in public service
- Excellent organizational, analytic, and technology skills
- Successfully demonstrated:
- Record of personal initiative, thoroughness, detail-oriented, completing tasks in a timely manner, meeting deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritizing, and flexibility in changing environments
- Independent problem-solving and decision-making
- Ability to work well in a team oriented environment, both collaboratively and collegially
- Ability to work effectively with and enjoy assisting students, faculty, colleagues, and community members in a diverse, multicultural setting
- Ability to meet the requirements of retention, promotion, and tenure
- Commitment to professional development
- At least two years of relevant work experience in a library setting
- All competencies as stated in the Core Competencies for Electronic Resources Librarians
- Experience working with Alma and Primo systems
- Experience working with SFX and EZ Proxy
- Experience using XML and HTML coding
- Effective library instruction and reference skills with demonstrated knowledge and use of academic electronic and print resources
- Academic Library experience
- Record of academic achievement
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position will remain open until filled. Preference will be given to applications submitted by Monday, March 20, 2017. To apply, please send your letter of application, curriculum vitae, unofficial transcript(s) for all graduate work, and names and contact information of three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Prior to hiring, official transcripts will be required.
CSUB’s annual crime report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus, in certain off-campus centers, such as our Antelope Valley Satellite Campus and on property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from CSUB. The report also includes policies concerning security on campus, such as alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, reporting crimes, sexual assault and other subjects. Additionally, a daily log of offenses is maintained and can be reviewed at the front desk of the Department of Public Safety. You can obtain a copy of the annual report by contacting the Department of Public Safety/University Police at (661) 654-2111 or by logging on to the Department of Public Safety website at the following link: http://www.csub.edu/bas/police/report/index.html
California State University, Bakersfield is committed to Equal Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or covered veterans’ status.