$6,341.41 – $8,091.57 Monthly
All locations, CA
Full Time Faculty Non Instructional
Institutional Effectiveness, Ed. Servs. & Planning
5/21/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Strive towards student success through supporting the College of the Desert’s Librarian services. The Reference Librarian will enable student success in a team-based environment by providing outreach, instruction and in-depth reference assistance.
Library environment. Constant interruptions. May require some evening and weekend responsibility.
Faculty Bargaining Unit Position
Salary Placement is according to the full-time Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Minimum Master level starting rate is $69,755.58 for an annual 11-month assignment. Maximum starting salary with a doctorate and significant experience is $89,007.27 for an 11-month annual assignment. This is an 11-month per year full-time tenure-track position. For more information on salary placement please see the Collective Bargaining Agreement (Download PDF reader)and Salary Schedule (Download PDF reader).
Interviews are tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, June 27th & Wednesday, June 28th.
Examples of Duties
- Demonstrated competence in current research and information gathering systems and methods.
- Knowledge of computerized information database systems.
- Work closely with other librarians in the design and delivery of instruction programming.
- Deliver library instruction and other library services for new students.
- Assess the impact of information literacy instruction on student learning outcomes, retention and graduation.
- Share in the responsibility for in-person and online reference services to students and faculty.
- Work as a library liaison on the main campus, as well as branch campuses.
- Library instruction schedule may include evenings and weekends, as well as visits to other sites.
- Other professional responsibilities as a faculty member of the college, such as committee work.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with students, faculty, staff, and administration.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited graduate school.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Demonstrated teaching ability, strong commitment to student learning, and enthusiasm for teaching and/or providing reference services in an undergraduate setting.
- Strong service orientation, flexibility, effective oral and written communication skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Preference will be given those candidates establishing the highest level of professional competency as evidenced by:
- Experience with the incorporation of emerging technologies into reference and instruction services to students.
- Familiarity and experience with assessment as it relates to student learning outcomes.
- Experience with the creation of online library tutorials for library research and/or specific course requirements.
- Knowledge of instructional design theory, principles and practices including the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work collegially with a group.
Degrees earned outside of the U.S. require that a Foreign Equivalency be uploaded with the foreign transcripts.
- Resume: Include education and experience with employment dates
- Transcripts: Must be from an accredited institution and include institution name, degree awarded and date degree awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of transcripts
- Cover Letter/Statement: Address the responsibilities and the personal/professional competencies listed in the position announcement
- List of References: Include at least 6 references which should include 2 faculty, 2 supervisors, 1 staff, and 1 student. Applicants not in education may submit comparable references.
College of the Desert, Desert Community College District
43-500 Monterey Ave
Palm Desert, California, 92260.