Reports to: Library Director
Status: Full Time, 10 month
Schedule: Some weekend shifts required
Supervises: Circulation Staff (during any evening and weekend shifts)
The Gellert Library at Notre Dame de Namur University seeks a dynamic, innovative, and collaborative individual for the position of Assistant Librarian. This position will be responsible for a broad range of academic librarian activities related to the planning and implementation of library services, including reference, instruction, and collection development.
The successful candidate will be broadly focused and flexible in order to adjust their range of responsibilities to meet evolving campus needs. The successful candidate will communicate effectively and work collaboratively with other units in the library and on campus to integrate library services into courses to support the information gathering needs of a diverse population of undergraduates, graduates, and faculty at Notre Dame de Namur University.
- Provides in-person and online reference assistance and extended research consultations for students, faculty, and staff.
Information Literacy and Technology Instruction:
- Plans, develops, promotes and conducts information literacy instruction using a variety of teaching techniques to build information literacy and technology skills.
- Creates digital learning objects and research guides.
- Applies a variety of assessment methods to measure the development of information literacy competencies.
- Assists in the management of the Library’s print and electronic collections to support the University’s curricular and research needs.
- Selects, organizes, and annotates resources for library users.
Liaison to Academic Departments:
- Develops and maintains relationships with faculty and staff to effectively market and deliver library services and resources.
- Initiates new programs and services.
- Communicates with academic departments regarding library resources, services, or research needs.
- Monitors academic department meetings, activities, and communications for opportunities to provide library services.
- Participates in new faculty, staff, and student orientations and other department/college activities. Records transactions for library statistical purposes.
- Serves the Library and NDNU through participation in appropriate faculty committees.
- Contributes to the library profession through professional associations and other scholarly activities.
- Engages in professional development opportunities to stay current with trends in the field.
Special Projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school
- Minimum 2 years of full-time experience in an academic library preferred
- Demonstrated competency in reference work, preferably in an academic library
- Experience with information literacy instruction and assessment
- Knowledge of the principles of collection development work
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Commitment to diversity in higher education
NDNU is committed to providing an educational environment that supports a diverse student population. In your cover letter, please include information about your experiences working in a diverse environment and what qualities you would bring to supporting this commitment to inclusive excellence at NDNU.