The Dennis and Leslie Power Library at Laguna College of Art + Design seeks a part-time temporary Cataloger/Librarian to provide up to 200 hours of cataloging support and other services from approximately June 1, 2017 through the end of July 2017. The rate of pay will be $30 per hour. The College is located in an internationally recognized arts colony in Laguna Beach, California and offers a diversity of majors in Animation, Graphic Design and Digital Media, Fine Art, Game Art, Illustration, Creative Writing and Entertainment Design.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs original cataloging, primarily for art-related publications, many of which are exhibition catalogs, independently published or from small or foreign presses
- Performs some copy cataloging
- Assigns subject headings and call numbers
- Downloads records from OCLC Connexion to the library’s ILS, Atriuum by BookSystems
- Occasionally may assist with other library tasks, including circulation and reference requests
- Tracks tasks and maintains statistics
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Position Requirements, Experience and Education
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The successful candidate must possess a user-centered attitude and a desire to work in a team oriented environment that serves a diverse population.
- Master of Library Science (MLS) or equivalent from an ALA-accredited school
- Experience using cataloging standards, including MARC, AACR2, and RDA
- Experience using Library of Congress Subject Headings and Library of Congress Classification
- Experience using cataloging tools such as OCLC Connexion and Classification Web
- Experience with integrated library systems, bibliographic maintenance, and data cleanup
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing with library patrons and library personnel
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong computer skills
- Experience with creating original catalog records for art-related publications, including exhibition catalogs and independently published artists’ works
- Experience with creating original catalog records for Chinese and Japanese language publications (5-10% of project)
- Experience using Atriuum ILS by BookSystems
Physical Essential Functions
Frequent sitting, keyboarding, grasping, pulling, pushing, reaching, standing and moving from one place to another. This position frequently takes place in an office environment, sitting at a desk and working in front of a computer. This position occasionally has increased physical activity including bending, stooping, squatting and lifting up to 25 lbs.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.