This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt position, with benefits, reporting to the Dean of Library Services. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
Summary Job Description
The Technical Services Librarian is responsible for the acquisition, cataloging, and processing of the Library’s information resources. This position develops, implements, and documents technical services policies and procedures, and plans and manages projects that will enhance the Library’s acquisitions, cataloging, and collection capabilities. Other duties include managing the interlibrary loan program, as well as working on the reference desk and contributing to other public services work. The position may also include responsibility for the Menlo College Archive. The ideal candidate will successfully combine technical services and public services in an academic setting, with strong attention to detail and an understanding of how technical services supports the mission of an academic library. Preferred start date of July 2017.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities
The following list is intended to be descriptive rather than inclusive.
- Manage the Acquisitions and Cataloging modules of the integrated library system (OCLC’s WMS)
- Develop and document standards, policies, practices, and efficient workflows for Technical Services, complying with current best practices
- Review and process all monograph orders
- Applying professional judgment and institutional practice, catalog monographic materials, by creating original catalog records, modifying records found in OCLC, or reviewing and approving catalog records chosen by vendors. Review and modify subject headings and classification numbers. Check series titles, location codes, and item barcodes.
- Ensure compliance with MARC, RDA, AACR2r, LCSH, OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards, and LC cataloging practices
- Process incoming monographic materials, e.g., spine labels, barcodes, etc. Some experience with book repair and mending.
- Process new subscriptions, with special attention to subscription terms, payment methods, and online access
- Maintain and update usage statistics for electronic resources
- Configure Interlibrary Loan module of the integrated library system (OCLC’s WMS) and develop appropriate policies and workflows
- Fulfill interlibrary loan requests from Menlo patrons, as well as other libraries
- Serve as monograph selector in designated subject areas
- Assist in evaluation of the Library’s electronic and print collections to identify unmet needs and changes in curriculum
- Assist in the selection and deselection of books, journals, and online resources
- Assist in developing/executing a collection assessment plan
- May oversee the Menlo College Archive
- Serve at the reference desk assisting students and faculty with their information needs
- Serve as a Personal Librarian in the Psychology Senior Thesis program
- Take part in outreach to students, faculty, and staff, including the faculty liaison program
- Work collaboratively in the development, execution, and promotion of library-related programs, special events, and exhibits
Professional Development and Service to the College
- Attend workshops and conferences, as appropriate
- Serve on College committees, as appropriate
- Serve as a member of the Menlo College Faculty Senate
Qualifications and Skills
- An ALA-accredited MLIS is required
- Substantial experience working with MARC, RDA, AACR2r, LCSH, OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards
- Experience with an integrated library system, preferably OCLC’s WMS
- Experience with electronic book ordering, preferably GOBI
- Knowledge of current linked data initiatives desirable
- Knowledge of processing and maintaining archival collections desirable
- Knowledge about scholarly communication and digital repositories desirable
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong commitment to excellent public service and user experience
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to set priorities, direct work, manage time, and multi-task
- Ability to solve problems and adapt to changing situations
To apply see full job description at http://www.menlo.edu/employment-opportunities/technical-services-librarian/.