San Jose State University
Job Title: Director of Academic Services
Job ID: 24153
Full/Part Time: Full time
Job Code: 3312, Range 1
Department: University Library
About the Position
The Director of Academic Services, University Library provides leadership, planning, and administration for instruction and research support and manages librarians in their liaison roles. This position guides the development and implementation of services and initiatives that respond to the needs of students, researchers and scholars. The Director will work successfully with SJSU (and at times CSU) faculty, staff, students, and other administrators to implement the Library’s strategic vision. S/he has a knowledge and interest in the evolving roles of academic libraries in the changing landscape of higher education, a commitment and ability to build partnerships with key stakeholders, and is committed to deeply infusing the value of diversity and inclusive excellence. The Director collaborates with the San Jose Public Library (SJPL) to implement collaborative services.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversee all aspects of reference and instructional services and liaison outreach programs.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Academic Services Department including direct management of librarians engaged in liaison activities and the RTP (Retention, Tenure and Promotion) process. Mentor and assist with RSCA (Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity).
- Work closely with the Associate Dean for Research and Scholarship and library faculty to provide innovative and cohesive reference and instruction services. Cultivate new models of outreach and engagement by partnering with faculty, staff and students.
- Provide leadership in identifying new emerging technologies and services that enhance teaching, learning, research and scholarship for potential library implementation.
- Advocate for the department, access diverse librarian skill sets, anticipate and orchestrate collaborations within the department and with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain statistical measures to assess the department’s effectiveness and efficiency in meeting library goals and demonstrate the value of the services provided by Academic Services to stakeholders across campus.
- Collaborate with SJPL staff as appropriate to support a unified service model.
- Participate in appropriate Library leadership and management teams and appropriate professional development activities.
- Initiate and implement appropriate staffing adjustments and reassignments, while planning and directing work.
This is a position in the CSU – Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
Link to Apply to the Position: https://cmshr.cms.sjsu.edu/psp/HSJPRDF/EMPLOYEE/HSJPRD/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL