Graduate Theological Union
Serials and Digital Resources Specialist
The Graduate Theological Union (GTU) seeks a talented Serials and Digital Resources Specialist to provide support in the Flora Lamson Hewlett Library. This is a part-time (19 hour/week) position. Preferred workdays are weekdays.
Located in Berkeley, California, the Graduate Theological Union is the largest and most diverse partnership of seminaries and graduate schools in the United States, pursuing interreligious collaboration in teaching, research, ministry, and service. The GTU’s Flora Lamson Hewlett Library — the geographic and spiritual heart of the GTU — is one of the most comprehensive theological libraries in the country, providing service for future parish ministers, seminary educators, scholars, and community leaders.
Founded in 1969 from historical original collections brought together from GTU’s member schools, the library reflects the interreligious collaboration that occurs at the GTU. Its collection has the breadth to support a full range of theological education programs as well as significant depth in many special areas of religion and theological inquiry.
Primary Position Purpose
Reporting to the Head of Collection Development, this position manages the acquisition of and maintains access to print and digital continuing resources.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain accurate Bibliographic, Order, Item, and Check-in records related to Serial subscriptions in Millennium Database
- Initiate, renew, or cancel, serial subscriptions by means of vendors or individual publishers
- Claim or otherwise replace late, missing, or damaged issues in a timely manner
- Prepare binding shipments of current periodicals and resolve item records for bound volumes.
- Authorize payment invoices and resolve vendor / order / claims difficulties as they arise
- Hire, train, and supervise student assistants
- Supervise the daily check-in, physical processing, and shelving of currently received issues
- Refer new titles, ceased titles, title changes, and other cataloging problems to the Systems Manager and Metadata Librarian.
- Acquire digital subscriptions and products; manage digital subscriptions within Millennium and Serials Solutions environments.
- Maintain monthly statistics of Serials Maintenance-related activities
- Maintain in-house spreadsheets regarding current paid, membership, and gift subscriptions
- Assist Library Patrons and Staff with serials related questions
- Maintain the ATLA Duplicate Exchange List
- Participate in training workshops related to the position
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications Required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements and physical demands listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential, principal duties.
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least one year of library serials (or other complex data maintenance) experience
- Experience with automated serials systems, Millennium preferred
- Experience with Serials Solutions preferred
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated facility with Office-based software
- Demonstrated facility with data entry and database management
- Demonstrated facility with project management
- Ability to lift and handle 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of serials bibliographic records
- Knowledge of MARC tagging for serials
- Reading knowledge of one or more European languages desirable
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong analytical and decision making skills
- Positive customer service orientation
- Excellent communication skills: oral, written, listening and inter-personal
- Team player
Candidates should submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, and the names/contact information for three professional references. Please put “Apply-Serials and Digital Resources Specialist” in the subject line of your email.
Application Deadline: August 11, 2017 or until filled.
The Graduate Theological Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer