Information Technology Librarian
California State University, San Bernardino’s (CSUSB) John M. Pfau Library invites applications from forward-looking, collaborative, service-focused librarians to provide the leadership and effective communication to maintain, enrich, and advance the library’s information technologies and Web services.
Responsibilities: The Information Technology Librarian (ITL) is a tenure-track faculty position reporting to the dean of the Pfau Library.
The ITL is the Head of the Library Information Technology unit which is charged with deploying and maintaining the library’s computers, related technologies, and Web services, as well as monitoring emerging technologies within and outside of library environments for possible use at the Pfau Library.
The ITL’s ultimate goal is a high level of user satisfaction facilitated by a deep understanding of users’ needs, values, abilities, and limitations.
The ITL supervises an IT Support Supervisor and an Assistant Web Developer and oversees the Innovation Lab, a space with 3D scanning and printing, circuitry kits, virtual reality headgear, and more.
The ITL also plays a crucial role in liaising with the campus Information Technology Services division with regard to services affecting the library, including networks, servers, information security, and more. The position serves on library, campus, and CSU technology committees and communicates information between these entities. At the library level, the ITL chairs the Library Information Technology Council.
The ITL will administer ExLibris’ PRIMO, the platform behind the library’s new OneSearch discovery layer, and may provide some combination of reference service, instruction, collection development, and liaison duties based upon knowledge and experience.
All tenure-track librarians must engage in the requisite research, creative work, and service to meet the tenure standards for faculty at the university. The library provides support for and fosters intellectual endeavors, and values librarians as faculty with their own research interests depending on academic background.
- MLS, MLIS, or MS degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Experience working in libraries of any kind.
- Knowledge of current and developing information technologies, standards, and trends.
- Knowledge of best practices for designing, developing, and maintaining Web sites.
- Demonstrated leadership experience, for example, project management.
- Supervisory experience (may be non-library).
- Ability to effectively collaborate and communicate across the full spectrum of university constituents.
- Capacity to thrive in a diverse campus community.
New librarians with non-library supervisory, management, and IT experience, are welcome to apply.
- Knowledge of or experience in administering ExLibris’ PRIMO.
- Experience working with APIs.
- Understanding of usability design and assessment, responsive Web design, and current accessibility standards.
- Experience or coursework in reference, library instruction, and collection development.
CSUSB is situated in the Inland Empire region, 60 miles east of Los Angeles, with a growing enrollment of just over 20,000 students. The campus has been designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Minority Serving Institution (>50% underrepresented minority student body), a Hispanic Serving Institution (>25% Latino student body), and Title V eligible (significant number of low income students).
We encourage applicants from historically underrepresented and marginalized populations to help us fulfill the library’s mission of serving a diverse community.
Terms of Appointment: This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position with CSU Faculty Bargaining Unit 3. The appointment rank is Senior Assistant Librarian with a salary range of $65,364 – $85,000. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. In order to secure tenure and promotion, the successful candidate must meet expectations in three areas—Professional Assignment; Research, Scholarly, or Creative Contributions; and University and/or Community Service—as defined by the Faculty Senate Committee, library faculty and staff, and library and division administration. Benefits: Generous medical, dental and vision benefits, and support for moving expenses available.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position within the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
To receive consideration, please submit ALL of the following:
- Online application
- Letter of interest
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial transcripts of all graduate work
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals qualified to comment no more than two years old (although they may refer to events that are older).
- A Diversity Statement which may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, gender equity, and must include specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background/philosophy have prepared you for this role of Information Technology Librarian at California State University, San Bernardino (maximum 250 words).
Your file MUST contain all of the above.
First consideration given to applicants who have completed their files by September 22. Position is open until filled. Questions? Contact Ms. Bonnie Petry, Chair of the Search Committee, email@example.com.