Holy Names University is seeking an energetic and innovative Instruction and Reference Librarian to participate in our information literacy program and campus outreach, work collaboratively on digital library initiatives, service improvements, collection development, and provide stellar reference service.
The Librarian for Research & Instruction cultivates and maintains strong collaborative relationships with teaching faculty; maintains an understanding of the university’s research and teaching programs; promotes library activities within the HNU community; and collaborates on campus-centered and university-wide cooperative initiatives to deliver timely and effective services.
Major activities conducted by the Librarian for Research & Instruction include planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating appropriate educational and research support services. Further responsibilities for this position include enhancing the library’s existing outreach initiatives and expanding information literacy instruction; providing students information research consultation services; developing new initiatives and partnerships to further student success in degree completion and for lifelong learning; overseeing the development of web pages, tutorials, and/or other online tools in support of teaching strategies.
The incumbent’s duties also include preparing reports and analyses regarding ongoing services and special projects, including the generation and interpretation of data that inform decisions and demonstrate the Library’s value to the HNU community and beyond.
Who we are:
HNU is a progressive, inclusive, and rigorous academic community offering a liberal arts and professional education in Oakland, California, with one of the most diverse student bodies in the United States.
We prepare students to think critically and imaginatively, to understand and employ various modes of knowledge, to communicate clearly and persuasively, and to promote the common good. Paul J. Cushing Library serves an essential role on campus, providing information literacy instruction and research resources to students, faculty, and staff.
What will you do at Holy Names University?
- Work with other librarians in a collaborative team environment, provide leadership, expertise, and contribution to the library’s information literacy instructional services
- Create, deliver, and assess classroom and online information literacy instruction
- Draft, document, and recommend policy, procedures, and workflows related to information-literacy instruction
- Participate in the assessment and reporting of university wide student information literacy learning outcomes
- Collaborate with faculty to design and deliver library instruction that best meets course, departmental and/or divisional student learning outcomes
- Collaborate with faculty and university staff to provide embedded instructional support through the learning management system, Blackboard
- Produce and manage library resource guides
- Provide synchronous and asynchronous research help (reference services) face-to-face, by phone, text, chat, or email, and via other media
- Serve as collection development specialist and faculty liaison for assigned subject areas within the HNU curriculum and in preparation for new curriculum offerings
- Work collaboratively with various university staff members to develop digital solutions in support of research, teaching and outreach efforts
- Plan, organize and construct temporary exhibits and displays of ‘special interest’ information, resources, and artifacts to provide artistic, cultural and intellectual enrichment to library users, as assigned
- Collaborate with other library professionals in support of local and regional information literacy instruction and assessment initiatives
- Supervise student employees, as necessary, to enhance their academic and professional development
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Work during some evening and weekend hours
Experience and Education Required:
- Master’s degree in library and information sciences (MLIS) or equivalent
- At least two years providing reference (research help) services in an academic library OR two years of instruction in higher education
- Familiarity with library research products such as scholarly e-journals, databases, and scholarly monographs
- Demonstrated experience applying learning theories and teaching strategies to support library instruction and information research literacy
- Expert working knowledge in MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite lecture capture software (i.e. Camtasia or comparable software), Libguides, Mac iOS
We are looking for candidates who also have:
- A background in web design or data visualization.
- Engagement and comfort in working with qualitative and/or quantitative data collection
- Demonstrated experience with outreach initiatives that further information literacy integration into an undergraduate life sciences curriculum
- Strong time management and project management skills
Open until filled. To Apply – Please submit a resume, cover letter and Holy Names University staff employment application to firstname.lastname@example.org