Access Services Librarian – University of California, Merced
Position Title: Access Services Librarian
Position Code: ALIB3954A
Description: The University of California, Merced is a dynamic new university campus in Merced, California, which opened in September 2005 as the tenth campus of the University of California and the first American research university in the 21st century. In keeping with the mission of the University to provide teaching, research and public service of the highest quality, UC Merced offers research-centered and student-oriented educational opportunities at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels through three academic schools: Engineering, Natural Sciences and Social Sciences/Humanities/Arts.
The UC Merced Library meets the diverse research, teaching, and public service needs of UC Merced researchers by providing targeted, quality collections, and relevant services that effectively and efficiently support the research lifecycle of finding, using, creating, and managing information. The Library seats approximately 1000 people and is housed within the Kolligian Library building, a 100,000 square foot facility that contains multiple campus departments in addition to the library.
The Library seeks a highly energetic professional who will serve as the public face of the Library and ensure the highest quality customer services by leading and assessing the performance of career staff and student employees. The successful candidate will be a diplomat and a problem solver who works effectively with students, faculty, researchers, and staff to meet their instruction and research needs.
The Access Services Librarian manages the Library’s customer service operational units including Access Services and Interlibrary Services. Reporting to the Associate University Librarian for Library Operations, the Access Services Librarian recommends policies and practices that improve and enhance a sustainable customer service model for the Library. The incumbent will participate in library professional activities at the local, UC systemwide, and national levels. Additional duties include management of the library’s exhibits program, assessment of library services, participation in reference services, and outreach and instruction activities.
The University of California at Merced is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of diversity among its faculty, staff, and students.
Applicants must possess the following:
• MLS from an ALA-accredited Library/Information Science program or equivalent experience or advance degree in information science or related field;
• A minimum of three years of experience providing customer service in a library setting;
• Excellent people skills and customer orientation;
• Demonstrated ability to plan, document and complete projects;
• Strong knowledge of current trends in library resource sharing;
• Strong teaching and presentation skills;
• Flexibility and adaptability;
• Creative and analytical thinking;
• Demonstrated initiative; and
• Strong interest in professional development.
Experience, education or achievement in any of the following areas:
• Art history, museum sciences or exhibits
• Library outreach services
• Library instruction
• Information Technology support services
Salary: $48,504 – $54,444
Closing Date: Open until filled
Interested applicants are required to submit
1) a cover letter
2) curriculum vitae
3) a list of three references with contact information including mailing address, phone number and e-mail address
4) 3-5 page writing sample.
Please do not submit individual letters of recommendation.
Apply Online: http://jobs.ucmerced.edu/n/user/academic/application/instruct.jsf?positionId=3954
For more information:
Please contact Eric Scott, AUL-Library Operations, at email@example.com.