The San Diego Museum of Man is in the process of cataloging over 25,000 historic images from its photograph collection and is now accepting applications for a Project Archivist to catalog and make accessible online the remainder of this collection.
The Project Archivist will be responsible for archivally housing, cataloging, and organizing digital surrogates of these images. The Project Archivist will also be responsible for entering catalog information into PastPerfect, linking PastPerfect records to metadata in Piction (DAMS), and ensuring the encoding of the finding aids and digital objects for delivery to the Online Archive of California. Additionally, the Project Archivist will develop a Photography Cataloging Manual for SDMoM that documents the standards and best practices for the project. The Project Archivist will report to the Registrar, will work closely with Collections Manager, and will assist in recruiting and managing project staff and interns. This is a one-year term position.
- Inspect, assess the condition of, arrange and catalog the museum’s photographic
- Write and encode detailed finding aids, including information on context and related
- collections as well as description of the materials.
- Keep documentation of grant related activities, which will culminate in the creation of
- the Photography Cataloging Manual for SDMoM.
- Maintain records PastPerfect and Piction in accordance with best museum and archival
- standards and practices to ensure the long-term preservation along with easy retrieval
- of materials.
- Organize and oversee the permanent storage of the photographic collections.
- Preserve, stabilize, and re-house archival materials as necessary.
- Recruit and train project Assistant as well as student interns.
- MLS from an ALA-accredited institution, or equivalent degree with a specialization in
- archival studies.
- Three to five years of experience in working with photographic collections.
- Excellent analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills. Willingness to work in a
- team environment.
- Evidence of both professional initiative and flexibility.
- Demonstrated understanding of archival collections and principles of arrangement and
- Familiarity with managing and preserving digital assets as well as knowledge of
- metadata standards.
- Archival processing experience, including the authoring of a finding aid.
- Strong writing and oral communications skills.
- Familiarity with Encoded Archival Description.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook.
Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Digital processing experience, including experience in digital assets management.
- Experience in working with new media sites, including Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Familiarity with PastPerfect CMS.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and list of at least three references by email to:
Rosa Longacre, Archivist, firstname.lastname@example.org.