Reference and Instruction Librarian
San Diego, CA, US
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
Part Time Temporary Reference and Instruction Librarian:
Copley Library seeks a librarian to provide reference and instruction services to USD students, faculty, and staff. This position will also assume liaison duties to one or more schools/departments. The position reports directly to the Head of Reference.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide both in-person and virtual reference assistance at the Copley Library reference desk. Shifts will include a minimum commitment of 6 hours per week. Additional shifts may be assigned as needed.
- Teach bibliographic instruction sessions for assigned liaison areas as needed.
- Fulfill faculty requests for library materials in assigned liaison areas.
- Provide research consultations for students in assigned liaison areas as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and to work collaborative and effectively
- Work on specified projects as needed
- ALA-accredited Masters degree in Library Science.
- Experience providing reference services in an academic library.
- Experience providing bibliographic instruction sessions for classes.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required.
- Experience providing reference services via chat, email, text message, and other virtual methods.
- Experience using the LibAnswers online reference services platform.
- Academic degree(s) or work experience in one or more preferred subject areas (Education, Peace Studies, Spanish, Asian Studies)
Persons offered employment must successfully complete a pre-employment background check. They also will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Dates of Employment
This is a part-time temporary appointment for a Reference and Instruction Librarian, beginning February 26, 2018 and ending July 31, 2018 . This person will work three days per week with some flexibility for scheduling desirable.
This is a five-month contract at $1,000 bi-weekly with no benefits, at the rank of Assistant Librarian (non-tenure track).
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
How To Apply
Application Process: To apply, see the job posting, click Apply Now and register as an applicant.
Please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials). If you have difficulty uploading any documents, please contact Human Resources at (619) 260-6806 and reference job posting IRC 26598.
a) Letter of application
c) Names, addresses and telephone numbers of five professional references.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. For questions about this position, please contact Michael Epstein at 619-260-2360 or firstname.lastname@example.org.