The Bonnie Bell Wardman Library at Whittier College seeks a Library Director. The Director will have experience with new and emerging technologies and implementing information literacy initiatives. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong managerial, organizational, and planning skills with the ability to lead and manage four librarians and six full-time staff members. The Director will lead the library in collaborating with faculty, staff, and administration campus-wide.
The Bonnie Bell Wardman Library serves as the intellectual center of the campus. The library building was seismically retrofitted and renovated in 2003 and features a collection of more than 200,000 print volumes and 172,000 e-books. We offer access to 71 electronic databases and provide 228 print and online periodical subscriptions. The library also includes Classroom and Media Services/MADLAB. Wardman Library serves all members of the College community and supports all disciplines to play a key role in student academic success.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Full Time/Part Time status: Full time
Salary Range: $85,000 – $115,000; Salary will commensurate with experience, skills, and knowledge.
Reports To: Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dean of Faculty
Location/Department: Whittier College (Main Campus)/Library
- Coordinates strategic planning efforts
- Manages the library budget
- Develops and implements library policies
- Collaborates with librarians, IT, administration, and faculty to determine the future of the library while invigorating our space and services.
- Oversees staff assignments, promotion applications, leaves of absence and other library personnel issues
- Encourages the professional growth of library staff members through participation in local or national professional organizations; manages funds for staff members to travel to conferences
- Maintains a current knowledge of the literature, information technology, and overall technology trends in academic libraries and higher education via professional literature, continuing education, professional development, and communication with other libraries
- Participates with SCELC (Statewide California Electronic Library Consortium), the Oberlin Group of Libraries, and other consortial institutions
- Coordinates an assessment of library services, spaces, and practices
- Develops and facilitates special programming in the Library (i.e., author appearances) or coordinating other special events in cooperation with academic departments to foster a student-centered environment
- Promotes information literacy through reference and instructional services, as needed
- Oversees the management and development of the regular library collections as well as the Special Collections and College Archives
- Serves on faculty committee assignments, including an ex officio role on the Educational Resources Committee
- Prepares statistical reports as requested by the College, library organizations, or other educational agencies
- Performs additional duties as requested or authorized by the College administration
Non-essential Functions of the Job:
- None identified at this time.
Position Specifications and Requirements:
Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program. Minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in an academic library with at least two years being in a supervisory role.
An additional advanced degree from an accredited institution.
Application Deadline: Review of candidates will begin on April 6th and continue until the position is filled.
Position start date: July 2018, preferred
The position is based in Whittier, California. Send a letter of interest addressing your background and your vision of the role of the library in a liberal arts college, curriculum vita, unofficial transcripts, and contact information (names, addresses, telephones, email addresses) for five references electronically to: email@example.com or mail to Whittier College, Attn: Human Resources Manager, 13406 E Philadelphia Street Whittier, CA 90608. AA/AOE.
Whittier College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religion creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law