Founded in 1863, Saint Mary’s is a residential campus nestled 20 miles east of San Francisco in the picturesque Moraga Valley. Based in the Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts traditions, Saint Mary’s currently enrolls more than 4,000 students from diverse backgrounds in undergraduate and graduate programs. The De La Salle Christian Brothers, the largest teaching order of the Roman Catholic Church, guide the spiritual and academic character of the College. As a comprehensive and independent institution, Saint Mary’s offers undergraduate and graduate programs integrating liberal and professional education. Saint Mary’s reputation for excellence, innovation, and responsiveness in education stems from its vibrant heritage as a Catholic, Lasallian and Liberal Arts institution. An outstanding, committed faculty and staff that value shared inquiry, integrative learning, and student interaction bring these traditions to life in the 21st century. The College is committed to the educational benefits of diversity.
The purpose of this position is to oversee contributions (from SMC faculty) to our institutional repository “SMC Digital Commons “, as well as supervising daily circulation operations. The incumbent serves as a bridge between the formal publishing activities of SMC Faculty and the service role of the library. Working with both to support the preservation and access of scholarly output; which may include open education resources, open access journals, open conference proceedings, working papers, lab reports, as well as the development of college content and data repository.
1) Institutional Repository:
- Creates and maintains a comprehensive list of faculty publications using Bepress’ software.
- Provides access to the SMC SMC Digital Commons institutional repository by creating metadata and uploading digital files in appropriate formats.
- Manages the workflow of digital files; including receiving and preparing files for upload to the repository, quality control, and interoperability of records with other library systems when necessary.
- Maintains complete and thorough documentation of all communication with faculty authors and publishers and advises faculty about appropriate publication agreements in order to house content in SMC Digital Commons.
- Researches and verifies copyright status and reviews publication agreements for previously published works
- Maintains the community structure of the repository.
2) Service Desk:
- Staffs and supervises Service Desk activities
- Supervises Student Employees
- Ensures that adequate levels of staffing are maintained to provide excellent service all the hours the library is open
- Monitors student customer service and works to maintain a consistently accurate and high-quality service
- Responsible for opening or closing the Library on time weekdays/nights/weekends and pre-finals and finals extended hours
3) Other Duties as Assigned
- Provides administrative support for a variety of special library projects, programs, and participates in continuing education/training opportunities, and staff development as appropriate to job responsibilities and time permits.
Experience and Qualifications:
Education: REQUIRED: High School diploma
Experience: REQUIRED: Three years progressively responsible library experience or equivalent is required. Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities will be considered. Knowledge of library operations in Access Services and their relation to overall library operations.
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Ability to work cooperatively with others
Ability to effectively provide lead work direction and training to student workers
Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to new assignments and work under pressure
English grammar, business writing, punctuation, and spelling; Ability to compose and
appropriately format correspondence and reports
Ability to investigate and research complex problems, including analyzing and interpreting
Ability to work independently using relevant knowledge to determine the best course of
Demonstrated ability to compile and present information in an organized manner
Effective communication and interpretive skills to be able to assist in resolving patron
problems and complaints, assess patron information needs, and orient and guide patrons
in use of library resources
High attention to detail and possession of excellent proofreading skills
Prefer experience in project management
Experience with copyright compliance
3 years of library experience in an academic library
Experience with library technology systems
Application Instructions: Please apply online at https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/stmarys/jobs/2029464/service-desk-supervisor-scholarly-communications-specialist?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs