The University of California, San Diego Library seeks applications from highly motivated, innovative, collaborative, and service-oriented professionals to join the Library as our Biological Sciences Librarian (at the level of Assistant, Associate or Full Librarian). The Biological Sciences Librarian will have the opportunity to develop and extend information services to a major center of academic excellence and scientific innovation.
Deadline: July 9, 2018
Responsibilities of the Position
The Biological Sciences Librarian will strategically engage with students, faculty, and researchers to identify areas of library partnership and support education and research at multiple levels. This position reports to the Assistant Director of the Library’s Academic Liaison Program. The candidate will:
- Partner with students, faculty, and researchers to define and meet information needs for education and research in the Division of Biological Sciences.
- Serve as the primary contact and information resource for the Division of Biological Sciences on library services, resources, and policies.
- Provide consultation and reference services to support undergraduate, graduate, and faculty research, teaching and learning endeavors.
- Develop learning programs and tools tailored to biological sciences to improve information and data literacy.
- Develop and maintain biology-related collections in all formats and collaborate with other librarians and staff on collection management activities.
- Collaborate with research data curation, data sciences, scholarly communications, and subject librarians to develop and implement information services throughout the research lifecycle.
- MLS/MLIS or equivalent advanced degree. Other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields related to library services may be substituted.
- Undergraduate degree in biology or a related field, or demonstrated knowledge of biological sciences as an academic discipline.
- Familiarity with scholarly resources and reference tools for biological sciences.
- Demonstrated experience providing instruction or training to a range of users.
- Strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education and ability to work with faculty, students, staff and colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, document, and complete projects.
- Ability to self-start, and work independently as well as within a team or collaborative environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience providing liaison services in an academic or research library.
- Familiarity with information and data literacies as applied within disciplinary schema.
- Undergraduate and/or advanced degree in one of the biological sciences.
- Understanding of traditional and emerging trends in biological sciences research and scholarship.
For full consideration, completed applications must be received by 7/9/2018 and include the following:
- A short application letter addressing your interest in this position and applicable qualifications
- A resume of education and relevant experience
- The names of at least three persons who are knowledgeable about your qualifications and/or suitability for this position
- A personal statement summarizing your past or planned contributions to diversity; guidance for preparing diversity statements can be found at: Center for Faculty Diversity and Inclusion
Please submit completed applications to https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01771.
Compensation: Salary and level of appointment in the Librarian series commensurate with qualifications and experience and based on the University of California pay scales.
Partner Opportunities Program: UC San Diego recognizes that your employment decisions may involve dual career considerations. UCSD provides online and in-person career and relocation assistance to spouses and partners of academic appointees.
AA-EOE: UCSD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.