Occidental College is a small rigorous liberal arts institution in Los Angeles with a curricular emphasis on social justice, community-based learning, and global citizenship. The Center for Digital Liberal Arts (CDLA) at Occidental helps to prepare Oxy’s diverse and talented students for a rapidly changing world through a variety of programs and offerings, including research support for students and faculty, digital media production tools and software, and professional development for faculty in digital pedagogy and scholarly communication.
Summary of Duties, Responsibilities and Goals
We seek an engaged science information specialist to join our diverse team of librarians, disciplinary specialists, and academic technologists as we cultivate, deliver, and support information resources and technologies. Within this stimulating and collegial environment, you will have the opportunity to invoke skills in course design, field and lab methodologies, instructional technologies, and scholarly resources and research.
- Collaborate directly with math and science faculty to realize college and departmental learning goals, participate in related grant and funding opportunities, and inform assessments of student learning.
- Research and implement best practice in digital pedagogy and instructional design in the sciences.
- Work with Academic Affairs, Science and Mathematics departments, and related academic support units to develop and integrate information literacies across the curriculum.
- Facilitate effective application of tools, methods and materials of primary inquiry (e.g., geospatial, computational, statistical) for undergraduate research.
- Develop and instruct advanced workshops and advise students about research resources, methods, and scholarly practices across the sciences.
- Supervise and mentor student workers.
- Provide research and insight to the Library and Information Technology Services on emergent science resources, identify and advocate for learning space, software, hardware, and other resource needs specific to the sciences.
- Track emerging trends in pedagogy and technology across the sciences; experiment with new approaches to scholarly content creation and presentation.
- Assess work activities, analyze evaluative data, and compile and report same – as required.
- Oversee and participate in a range of relevant special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in a relevant math or science field or in library and information sciences
- Working knowledge of scientific research practices and methods; demonstrated expertise using a range of scientific data and information resources; experience with data visualization, geospatial, and statistical tools (e.g., R, SPSS, ArcGIS, Python, statistical analysis software, etc.)
- 3-5 years’ experience in an academic setting providing teaching, technology and/or student/faculty research support in the sciences preferred; familiarity with liberal arts educational models preferred.
- Must have a strong commitment to serving a diverse set of faculty and students.
- Excellent project management, communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and creatively as a team member or independently.
- Proactive, intellectually curious, and self-motivated learner.
Please submit a resume and cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the CDLA, visit: http://cdla.oxycreates.org/
Rolling review of applications begins immediately. Position is open until filled.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.