California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) seeks a service-oriented, innovative, and collaborative professional to serve as the Access Services Librarian (ASL) for the John M. Pfau Library on the main campus and the Helene A. Hixon Information Resource Center on the Palm Desert campus.
Responsibilities: The ASL reports to the dean of the library. The ASL consults with the Librarians’ Council and the dean on all matters affecting access services and policies.
The ASL performs a variety of managerial and operational duties that require knowledge of library systems and procedures to provide access to the collection and assist patrons in the use of library resources and services. This highly visible position involves actively assisting library patrons; monitoring multiple library functions; and may provide some combination of reference service, instruction, collection development, and liaison duties based upon knowledge and experience.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates relevant full-time, unionized employees.
- Oversees the daily operations of the Circulation; Course Reserves; and Interlibrary Loan departments; the circulation component of the Library Multi Media Center, at the Pfau Library; and the corresponding services at the Helene A. Hixon Information Resource Center. The latter will require regular monthly consultation and interaction with the Palm Desert campus librarian.
- Liaises with relevant campus units regarding departmental services, policies and employment.
- Resolves all problems involving scheduling and coverage of the access services as detailed above, and keeps the dean informed about any issues.
All tenure-track librarians must engage in the requisite research, creative work, and service to meet the tenure standards for faculty at the university. The library provides support for and fosters intellectual endeavors, and values librarians as faculty with their own research interests depending on academic background.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited institution. Evidence of the potential for a successful career in librarianship at an academic or research library.
- Ability to deliver and prioritize excellent customer service.
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory and training experience in a library setting.
- Familiarity with integrated library management systems, ILL functions, basic copyright law, and policies and procedures related to access services.
- Sensitivity to working in a diverse work environment.
- Ability to solve problems effectively and exercise good judgment.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to function both as a team member and a team leader.
- Proficiency with computers and electronic access technologies.
CSUSB is situated in the Inland Empire region, 60 miles east of Los Angeles, with a growing enrollment of just over 20,000 students. The campus has been designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Minority Serving Institution (>50% underrepresented minority student body), a Hispanic Serving Institution (>25% Latino student body), and Title V eligible (significant number of low income students).
The city of San Bernardino is uniquely situated just a 1-2 hour drive away from beaches, mountains, deserts, and the city of Los Angeles.
We encourage applicants from historically underrepresented and marginalized populations to help us fulfill the library’s mission of serving a diverse community.
Terms of Appointment: This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position with CSU Faculty Bargaining Unit 3. The appointment rank is Senior Assistant Librarian with a salary range of $65,364 – $85,000. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. In order to secure tenure and promotion, the successful candidate must meet expectations in three areas—Professional Assignment; Research, Scholarly, or Creative Contributions; and University and/or Community Service—as defined by the Faculty Senate Committee, library faculty and staff, and library and division administration. Benefits: Generous medical, dental and vision benefits, and CalPERS Retirement, as well as Social Security and Medicare. Support for moving expenses is available.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position within the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
To receive consideration, you must submit ALL of the following:
- Online application https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/csusb/jobs/2144878
- Letter of interest
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial transcripts of all graduate work
- Three letters of recommendation no more than two years old from individuals qualified to comment (although they may refer to events that are older).
- A Diversity Statement which may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, or gender equity, and must include specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background/philosophy have prepared you for this role of Access Services Librarian at California State University, San Bernardino (maximum 250 words).
Your file MUST contain all of the above. Applicants selected for in-person interviews will be reimbursed for all travel expenses incurred.
First consideration given to applicants who have completed their files by August 30, 2018. Position is open until filled. Questions? Contact Mr. Brent Singleton, Chair of the Search Committee, email@example.com.