Assistant Professor/Librarian #AC13-0289
Library Services/Fine & Performing Arts Division/Santa Ana College
Tenure Track position
RSCCD has one of the highest faculty salary schedules among California’s 72 community college districts. New faculty
may be placed as high as step 11 on the salary schedule based upon verified teaching/work experience. The starting
salary may range from $52,727.05 to $89,178.96/year for the 10-month academic year, depending upon education and
experience. Additional compensation is provided for work beyond the basic teaching contract.
The district will contribute up to $23,472.84 per year toward the medical/dental insurance expense for the employee and
any eligible dependents, plus $1,250 per year for additional fringe benefit expenses; life insurance coverage of $50,000
or the employee’s annual salary, whichever is greater; and ten days of sick leave per year. Membership in the California
State Teachers’ Retirement System.
Starting Date: 2013 Fall Semester
Deadline to Apply: Friday, March 8, 2013, 5:00 pm
• Provide library reference and information assistance to students, faculty, staff and community member.
• Develop curriculum using e-learning technologies.
• Conduct library instruction classes.
• Act as a liaison with faculty on the selection of materials; recommend purchase of library resources that support and
enrich the curriculum.
• Keep abreast of developments in library science, learning resources and information technology fields.
• Actively participate in staff, faculty, committee and professional meetings.
• Active involvement in shared governance.
• Participate in a team environment with a commitment to service excellence.
• Participate in the development of library policies and procedures.
• Perform other library related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Applicants must meet one of the following):
• Possess from an accredited institution: A master’s degree in library science, or library and information science, OR
• Possess a valid California Community College credential authorizing service in the discipline, OR
• The equivalent (applicants who do not meet the above minimum qualifications must complete the Equivalencies
Section in the application form and provide conclusive evidence of such).
• A working knowledge of and experience with reference services, preferably in an academic setting.
• Demonstrated leadership and experience with e-learning technologies and strategies.
• Experience conducting library instruction.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic
backgrounds of community college students.
• Ability to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff.
• Willingness to participate in shared governance.
• Strong public service orientation.
• Evidence of strong written and oral communication skills.
• Ability to meet deadlines for assigned reports and activities.
• Experience in teaching students from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and widely varying levels of
• A working knowledge of and experience with student learning outcomes and assessment.
In addition to the requirements and responsibilities listed, the following criteria will be considered in selecting
candidates for interviews:
• Educational experience – breadth and depth
• Work experience – breadth and depth
• Demonstrated leadership capabilities
• Curriculum development
• Program development
• Community involvement
• Demonstrated experience in working with a diverse socioeconomic community
• Credentials or minimum qualifications authorizing service in other areas of need
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others
• Bilingual ability (if needed)
Based upon the information presented on the application materials, a limited number of candidates with qualifications
most pertinent to the position will be invited to participate in the selection process, which may include a written test and
Applicants selected for an interview may be required to take additional tests or assessments and will be notified of such
prior to the date of the interview. During the oral session, those selected for interviews, in addition to the above, may be
evaluated on the following factors:
• Oral communication skills
• Problem solving skills
• Successful teaching, problem solving or performance demonstration
• Writing skills/demonstration
Applicants are requested to provide thorough yet concise information on their related experience to ensure correct
evaluation of their qualifications. A predetermined set of questions will be asked during all interviews. Evaluation
criteria will be applied consistently to all applicants.
Method of Application
For consideration in the selection process, interested persons must complete the online district academic application
by the specified closing date for the position at www.rsccd.edu. All materials must be submitted online. A computer
and scanner are available at the Human Resources Department, 2323 North Broadway, Santa Ana, California, 92706,
between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Please upload the following required materials with your online application:
• Unofficial transcripts (showing that the minimum qualifications are met)
Travel reimbursement is available to those meeting the established district criteria.
Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide current verification of a negative TB test or chest x-ray,
complete the district’s fingerprinting process, and bring proof of their legal right to work in the United States. Cost of
TB testing, fingerprinting and the fee for criminal record check will be paid for by the candidates.
The District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for
employment because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, Vietnam-era veteran
status or sexual orientation.
The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact the Human
Resources Office for assistance.
Post: Friday, January 25, 2013