The Reference Librarian supports the services and activities of the Reference and Public Services department, including advising library patrons and staff in the selection and use of materials related to film and the performing arts, and providing reference and in-depth research assistance to virtual and onsite library users. This is a full-time position reporting to the Head of Reference and Public Services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides reference and research assistance to library patrons, scholars and staff.
- Assists in the training and supervision of reference staff and public services support staff.
- Participates in abstracting and indexing and selection of published materials for the core collections. Participates in tours and workshops, etc.
- Maintains and shares expert knowledge of reference-related activities and trends.
- Provides bibliographic instruction and outreach to Academy staff as needed.
- Participates in wider Academy projects as needed.
- Collaborates with the department head to implement policies and procedures for reference services as well as applying creative solutions to developing and improving practices and procedures using current and emerging technologies.
- Master degree in Library and Information Science.
- Bachelor or Master degree in Film Studies.
- Professional work experience in an academic or special library.
- Expert film history/industry knowledge.
- Experience with specialized research for film-related requests.
- Strong service orientation and interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with the public and staff.
- project management skills.
- Experience working with web development tools, web interfaces and library systems.
- Strong project management and organizational skills with the ability to be self-motivated and meticulous detailed.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to work with a diverse group in a positive and constructive manner.
- Ability to balance multiple projects and effectively set priorities
- Ability to lift materials weighing 25lbs on and off shelves and five-drawer filing cabinets.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Position: Reference Librarian
Open Date: 9/13/2018
Location: Beverly Hills
About the Organization
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a global community of more than 8,000 of the most accomplished artists, filmmakers and executives working in film. In addition to celebrating and recognizing excellence in filmmaking through the Oscars, the Academy supports a wide range of initiatives to promote the art and science of the movies, including public programming, educational outreach and the upcoming Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which is under construction in Los Angeles.
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws , including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
The Academy is committed to equal opportunity in employment and to creating, managing and valuing diversity in its workforce. Maintaining a diverse workforce is vital to the Academy. Accordingly, the Academy enforces a strict policy that prohibits discrimination in hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, or termination, whether on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation or genetic information. This includes a workplace that is free of all forms of harassment. And, to help foster diversity, the Academy utilizes programs that ensure fairness of opportunity, pay, and growth to all applicants and employees. Every employee of the Academy is required to follow this policy and to preserve the Academy’s commitment to diversity.
Apply at: http://www.oscars.org/footer/careers