Job Position: Part-Time Research Librarian
The Holy Names University Cushing Library seeks a creative, dynamic, team-oriented individual for Research Librarian (part-time/ 9 month). Primary responsibilities include serving as the evening/weekend Research and Instruction Librarian. Additionally, the candidate will work collaboratively on service improvements, collection development, and provide stellar reference service. Evening and weekend work is required.
Major activities conducted by the Librarian for Research & Instruction include planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating appropriate educational and research support services; providing information research consultation services; developing new initiatives and partnerships to further student success in degree completion and lifelong learning; assist in the development of web pages, tutorials, and other online tools.
The incumbent’s duties also include preparing reports and analysis regarding ongoing services and special projects, including the generation and interpretation of data that inform decisions and demonstrate the Library’s value to the HNU community and beyond.
What will you do at Holy Names University?
- Provide specialized research assistance to students, faculty, community users, and visiting scholars, both on-site and remotely
- Assist and instruct users in using print, electronic, and other information resources
- Troubleshoot electronic hardware and software in public service areas
- Supervise student assistants in the absence of the Circulation Supervisor, in particular on evenings and weekends
- Design handouts, LibGuides, online instruction, and other supplementary materials that help students learn about information resources
- Orient individual faculty and students to the advanced capabilities of various databases and other information resources
- Teach course-integrated instruction across disciplines at both undergraduate and graduate levels
- Develop web-based library instructional tools
- Assist with the evaluation of assigned collection areas to determine quality, currency, and relevance; making removal recommendations
- Keeps current with emerging trends and technologies
- Compile statistics and provide analysis of significance
- Actively engage in scholarly and professional activities
- Serve as a back up to other units and services as needed
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
Experience and Education Required:
- An ALA accredited Master’s degree in Library Science
- Familiarity with Experience in the provision of reference and instructional services
- Expertise with Microsoft Office Suite, Camtasia (or comparable software), LibGuides, and Blackboard (or comparable software) is preferred
We are looking for candidates who also have:
- Able to work independently and collaboratively in a team-based environment
- Excellent problem solving, multi-tasking, and organizational skills
- Exhibit excellent communication skills, and a strong, proactive service orientation
- Ability to understand user comfort levels with technology and employ teaching concepts related to the adult learner
- Highly flexible with ability to thrive in a fast-paced and continually changing environment
- Ability to troubleshoot computers and/or software applications
- Familiar with resources within the health and sciences disciplines