San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of candidates for the position of Head of Technical Services. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic, collegial, user-focused librarian who will provide dynamic leadership for technical services departments and our new library management system. The Head of Technical Services will provide direction and strategic management for all of technical services including: acquisitions, cataloging, database management, electronic resource maintenance and physical processing. The successful candidate will lead Library Technical Services in forward thinking directions as information organization, discovery, and access tools change and evolve.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Supervise and establish guidelines for the day-to-day work of all technical services staff in acquiring, cataloging, and processing all library resources including special collections and government documents materials in compliance with national and international standards and practices.
- Provide leadership in planning, implementing, and assessing technical services’ activities to ensure timely access to materials and to consider emerging trends.
- Lead technical services in the development and implementation of California State University (CSU) Unified Library Management System (ULMS) best practices in resource management.
- Keep abreast of current standards and emerging technologies to effectively support the organization of and access to Library resources.
- Work cooperatively with three tenured librarians.
- Supervise and train 11 paraprofessional staff.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the Library in metadata management to enhance access to the library’s digital collections.
- Provide statistical and activity reports as required by library administration.
- Perform original cataloging as needed.
- Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on library, campus-wide, and California State University committees as needed.
- Participate in professional development activities to fulfill in part expectations of tenure and promotion.
- Other duties as needed.
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree.
- Minimum of five years of substantial professional cataloging and database maintenance experience in a MARC environment in a university library.
- Minimum of three years successful experience supervising technical services paraprofessionals.
- Demonstrated experience managing the workflow of one or more technical services units including: acquisitions, electronic resources, metadata, monographic cataloging, or serials cataloging.
- Substantial and successful working experience with cataloging standards, tools and resources, such as RDA, LCSH, LCCS, MARC21, or other metadata schemes.
- Working knowledge of library management systems and electronic resource management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, develop, and manage innovative projects or services with a diverse team.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated organizational, analytical, project management, and problem-solving skills.
- A record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession commensurate with the rank of Associate Librarian.
- Potential for meeting requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community.
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.
- Experience with library services platforms, such as Ex Libris Alma and discovery systems such as Ex Libris Primo.
- Experience providing training programs for staff.
- Experience with LC-PCC, BIBCO, NACO, and CONSER cataloging policy and cataloging guidelines.
- Working knowledge of a second language, preferably Spanish.
- Successful grant writing experience.
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing high standards in library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
This position will be ranked at Associate Librarian. Salary commensurate with experience and based on CSU Salary Schedule. This position also offers a generous startup package.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor’s degrees in 91 areas, master’s degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 22 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 35,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, Visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by January 4, 2019. Applicants must apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/58396. Anticipated start date is July 2019.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
San Diego State University is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.