Review of applications will begin on February 11, 2019. Applications submitted after this date may be considered.
Librarian for the Natural Sciences
Librarian – 12-Mo
Salary Range (From $ to $)
$5,447 – $6,859 per month, commensurate with experience.
Number of Positions
Full-time/part-time (if part-time, indicate time base)
R03 – CFA Faculty
: One full-time 12 month tenure track Librarian for the Natural Sciences (Senior Assistant Librarian rank).
The Meriam Library invites applications for a tenure-track Library faculty position to make a significant contribution to the library and to the teaching and learning environment at CSU, Chico. This position will serve as subject librarian to the College of Natural Sciences, providing service to students in the areas of Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geological and Environmental Science, Mathematics and Statistics, Nutrition and Food Science, Physics, the School of Nursing, and Science Education. Individuals with experience in one or more of these areas, as well as early career applicants, are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will have a passion for teaching and be excited about providing instruction to undergraduates, graduate students, and students in the College’s professional programs. The librarian will serve as a member of the instruction team in the Research, Instruction, and Outreach department in a collaborative setting focused on improving teaching and learning at the Meriam Library. This is a full-time tenure track faculty position and will require service on library and university committees and the pursuit of professional development opportunities and engagement in research.
CSU, Chico is committed to enriching the educational environment of its students. The Department of Biological Sciences seeks candidates whose teaching, research, or service has prepared them to contribute to our campus commitment to diversity and inclusion in higher education. We now proudly hold HSI designation.
Minimum Education and Experience
- ALA accredited graduate degree in Library/Information Science.
- Experience teaching in an academic library or higher education setting. Teaching experience accrued as a graduate student will be considered.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and analytically and to work in a collegial, collaborative, service-focused environment.
- Demonstrated evidence of commitment to or experience promoting and fostering a learning environment that is supportive of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
Additional Requirements and Responsibilities for this position
- Works with other information literacy and liaison librarians to develop and implement information literacy instruction across disciplines.
- Develops shared instructional materials in a variety of formats.
- Pursues outreach efforts to engage the students and academic community.
- Engages in collection development activities in assigned subject areas.
- Participates in shared reference, consultation, and related activities.
- Meets research and service requirements to attain tenure.
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 (revised July 21, 2017) as a condition of employment.
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in the natural, physical, or health sciences, or a related area.
- Experience working with first generation, non-traditional, or underrepresented student populations.
- Ability to engage disciplinary faculty in information literacy outcomes, assessment, and library research methods.
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices in the natural or health sciences.
- Demonstrated proficiency with contemporary educational technologies.
- Demonstrated interest in conducting outreach and engagement efforts with students and campus partners.
- Evidence of interest in or contribution to professional research activities.
- Experience with instruction in face-to-face and online environments, including the design of instructional materials and activities.
Contact & Special Recruitment Information
All applicants must apply online at: http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/5221
Complete online applications will include: a cover letter specifically addressing the candidate’s qualifications, a current resume, and names and contact information for three current references.
should be directed to:
George Thompson, Hiring Committee Chair
California State University, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0295
Submit questions about your application packet to: Laurie Ratterree
Phone: 530 898-5953
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Benefits include 24 days of vacation (to a maximum accumulation of 40 days), holidays, 12 days sick leave, programs for health, dental, vision and life insurance, California State Retirement System and a taxable educational fee waiver program. The incumbents will hold the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Librarians in the California State University have full faculty status and are represented by the California Faculty Association. Faculty retention, tenure and promotion are based on demonstrated achievement in librarianship, professional development and contributions, and service to the profession, university and community.
This position qualifies for benefits including tuition fee waiver (if eligible).
About the University, Hiring Department and Community
The Meriam Library supports a comprehensive university curriculum at the Master’s degree level and emphasizes active engagement and outreach with faculty and students. The Library is a unit of Academic Affairs. Further information about the Meriam Library is available at http://www.csuchico.edu/library/.
Detailed information about the university is available here. As a university that educates students of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds, we value a diverse faculty and staff. CSU, Chico welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment. We also welcome those who share a passion and commitment to the University’s 6th Strategic Priority that focuses on sustainability, stewardship, and the environment.
CSU, Chico is committed to achieving excellence through diversity in the classroom and the workplace. It strives to establish a climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the contributions of all students, faculty, and staff.
CSU, Chico is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status and only employ individuals authorized to work in the U.S.
For disability related accommodations please call ADA Coordinator at (530) 898-5959.
An annual security report disclosing crime statistics for California State University, Chico can be obtained by contacting the Chico State University Police Department (530-898-5555) or by visiting the Chico State UPD website.
All positions are contingent on funding.