Job Title: Electronic Resources Specialist, Library (6759C) – #26343
Job ID: 26343
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Library Administration
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world’s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley’s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance—academic and artistic, political and cultural—make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 12, 2019
The Acquisitions Department supports the ordering and receiving of library materials for the University Libraries at the University of California, Berkeley. This position exists within the Electronic Resources Unit of the Acquisitions Department and functions as the Specialist responsible for establishing and maintaining access of all e-book packages, electronic databases, streaming media, and electronic journals for the Library. This position manages changes in access points to e-resources, updates holdings, checks links, updates IP addresses, informs LSO and CMS of cataloging and MARC record loading issues. Work also includes maintaining the Library’s SFX, EDS, EZproxy and database A-Z instances, and maintaining e-resource licensing and financial data in the e-resources database. It also collects usage statistics to support collection analysis.
- Activates new electronic resources in the library’s various knowledge bases (Millennium, SFX, A-Z Database portal, and Ebsco Discovery Services).
- Performs required weekly maintenance on SFX instance in response to updates of the SFX Knowledge Base.
- Refers MARC records from vendors to Library Systems Office.
- Establishes access for electronic books, databases, journals, streaming media, and other web-based resources in specialized publisher and vendor administrative websites.
- Resolves access problems for electronic resources, including analyzing and troubleshooting IP, proxy, vendor platforms, networks, and access breaches.
- Tracks publisher, platform, and title changes. Performs appropriate record maintenance. Migrates subscribed titles and access links as appropriate.
- Maintains e-resource licensing and financial data in Millennium order records or E-Resource Management System.
- Maintains documentation on processes and procedures for the management of electronic resources in the Library.
- Performs other duties as required to help the department meet deadlines or to complete special projects, such as processing the CDL recharge, and gathering usage statistics.
- One year or more experience within Library Acquisitions
- One year or more experience working with multiple bibliographic and other data sources such as an Integrated Library System, an open URL resolver, and the databases of publishers, vendors, and electronic journal/database providers in order to maintain data integrity within and across systems.
- One year or more experience managing link-resolver knowledge bases, for example, SFX, Serials Solutions, Worldshare KB, Ebsco Journal Service.
- One year or more experience receiving serials and/or electronic resources.
- Specialized knowledge of vendor behavior and familiarity with major vendor, publisher, and online platform provider developments
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility, and ability to work creatively and effectively both independently and as a team member.
- Detail oriented.
- Demonstrated problem solving ability.
- Experience with Millennium or Sierra ILS.
- Excellent English language and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent computer skills and demonstrated proficiency with standard professional software, such as MS Windows, MS Office suite, and Google office apps.
- MS Access query experience.
Salary & Benefits
This is non-exempt, bi-weekly paid covered position and salary range $23.45 – $26.87 per hour
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. Application materials can be submitted at http://jobs.berkeley.edu
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Clerical & Allied Services Unit (CX) between the University of California and Teamsters Local 2010. The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/cx/index.html
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: