Director of Library Technology and Collection Management – Administrator II
$44,712 – $153,204
Anticipated Starting Salary:
$90,000 – $95,000
The Henry Madden Library at California State University, Fresno, is the largest academic library in California between Los Angeles and San Francisco. With over 1.5 million visitors a year, the 339,000 square foot library serves as the hub of the campus community. It provides innovative services including technology lending to both faculty and students, a growing digital repository, integrated information literacy instruction, and student-centered campus partnerships. The library has helped lead the CSU’s transition to a system-wide unified library management system, ALMA, with full transition completed prior to the 2017-2018 fiscal year. The library has over a million print volumes, hundreds of thousands of electronic resources, and significant special collections of children’s literature, teacher resources, music and media, World’s Fair materials, local and regional history, and hosts numerous rotating exhibitions and campus and community events. The library also uses 3M’s RFID system to safeguard its assets. Library personnel include 18 library faculty, 39 support staff, and 29 FTE student assistants. For more information, visit https://library.fresnostate.edu/.
The Director of Library Technology and Collection Management reports to the Dean of Library Services and serves as a member of the library’s senior leadership team which plans library-wide services, facilitates operations, and resolves issues. The Director is primarily responsible for developing strategic directions for managing access to physical and virtual collections and digital services and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Technology Services and Collection Management Division including materials in all formats, electronic resources management, collection development and collections budget management, and cataloging in all formats.
The Director also leads this division in meeting and expanding library and digital scholarship needs and ensuring the continued implementation of technologies that serve teaching and research at Fresno State. The Director also oversees and provides infrastructure support to promote the Fresno State Digital Repository (FSDR) as an integrated tool in scholarly communication and research throughout the University.
As a leader, the Director will foster an environment where strategic and well-informed risk taking is encouraged. As a member of the Library Leadership Team, this person is responsible for library-wide planning and policy making. The incumbent works with other library leaders to shape strategic directions for the Henry Madden Library and will monitor current standards and explore emerging technologies to more effectively support the organization of and access to library resources. The position also requires a commitment to representing the library and participating in the development of California State University (CSU) policies and maintenance of the new consortia and local system.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Ability to articulate and develop a collaborative vision and provide innovative leadership;
- Oversee technical services, the institutional repository, and collections management processes in the full range of subjects at Fresno State;
- Professional experience that includes the management of resources and personnel in a library setting;¿
- Knowledge of scholarly research and communications, library information technologies, and discovery systems;
- Knowledge of digital library preservation and curation concepts, policies, and best practices;
- Knowledge of budget planning and ability to prepare annual reports;
- Experience of managing workflow of at least one area of Technical Services, such as acquisitions, monographic and serials cataloging, or electronic resources management;
- Knowledge of current issues and trends in collection strategies, collection management, copyright, and preservation facing libraries;
- General knowledge of current technologies, platforms, and products that support library information technology;
- Commitment to fostering a diverse workplace, and supporting staff professional development at all levels;
- Experience in leadership, strategic planning, and project planning.
- Experience with successfully developing, managing, and completing large complex projects in a library or similar environment.
- Master of Library Science (MLS), Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), or equivalent from an American Library Association accredited program or international equivalent.
- Three (3) years or more of substantial Technical Services, Collections or IT management experience in a library or similar setting.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible management and supervisory/lead experience.
Applications received by February 24, 2019 will be reviewed for minimum qualifications and given full consideration by the hiring manager and/or search committee. Qualified applicants received after that date will be forwarded upon request to the hiring manager and/or search committee.
Individuals interested in being considered for this position should submit an on-line application and attach the following supporting documents: 1) resume, 2) letter of interest which includes a narrative detailing how the candidate fulfills each of the required and preferred items listed under Qualifications, and 3) names, email addresses and telephone numbers of three references who can provide current assessments of the candidate’s qualifications for the position.
Pursuant to Executive Order 883, reasonable accommodation is to be provided upon request from an employee or applicant with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on the campus. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation is to be determined by the campus on a case-by-case basis after it has received the individual’s request for accommodation and engaged in an interactive process. Employees or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation should contact Human Resources directly at (559) 278-2032.
How To Apply: