Full-time Instruction and Assessment Librarian
Soka University of America, Daisaku & Kaneko Ikeda Library
Soka University of America (SUA) invites applications for a Full-Time Instruction and Assessment Librarian. We are looking for a creative, engaging, and enthusiastic team member with a commitment to providing excellent information literacy instruction to meet the academic needs of SUA students, faculty, and staff members.
- Following the standards set by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), develop and use appropriate learning objectives and assessment procedures to ensure a consistent and effective information literacy program.
- Collaborate with faculty and teach information literacy skills. Integrate the learning opportunities into their courses.
- Provide reference/research help to the campus community and conduct library orientations for incoming students and new faculty and staff members.
- Maintain thorough and accurate records of reference and instruction activities, analyze collected data, and write reports.
- Create and maintain LibGuides related to the graduate program’s coursework specifically and to information literacy skills in general.
- Review syllabi and communicate with professors to recommend new resources to be added to the library collection in order to meet the changing needs of the campus community.
- Stay informed of changes made to library databases, collections, and services; and promote these resources to the campus community by writing monthly articles for SUA Today on behalf of the library, posting announcements on the library’s Facebook page, and participating in the library’s annual cafeteria outreach event.
- Perform general Circulation Desk duties, which includes assisting patrons with equipment available in the library.
- Attend library staff meetings, relevant meetings with other campus entities, and on-campus events where there are opportunities to engage with students, staff, and faculty.
- Test and evaluate new electronic products for possible addition to the library’s online holdings.
- Participate in professional development activities related to job responsibilities and make use of relevant LIS resources, such as list-servs, to stay informed about the field.
- Accept other assignments from the Director of the Library as the university develops.
This position will include some weeknight and/or weekend hours.
- Master’s degree in Information and/or Library Science from an ALA-accredited school
- Three years of working experience providing reference services, offering information literacy instruction, and assessing student and program outcomes at an accredited university library
- Ability to provide responsive service to the entire academic community with tact, courtesy, and an attitude of “going the extra mile”
- Ability to design and offer engaging, student-centered instruction
- Capacity for developing and sustaining effective relationships with students, faculty, and staff
- Ability to work independently, exercising excellent analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and adjust priorities in a changing environment
- High ethical and professional standards
- Knowledge of and eagerness to learn about new technologies and their applications to instruction and reference services
- Working knowledge of copyright law
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills in English
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe products
- Advanced degree in Education to support the students and faculty of the MA program in Educational Leadership and Societal Change
- Experience writing reports for WASC accreditation or for similar accreditation processes
- Experience with LibGuides and OCLC WorldShare Management Services
- Ability to read one or more of the foreign languages taught at SUA—Chinese, French, Japanese, and Spanish—to support collection development of pertinent resources
- Experience providing services for students from diverse backgrounds
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Review of applications will begin immediately. The position will remain open until filled. Employment is contingent upon the completion of a successful background check.
To apply send letter of interest, resume, and three professional references to:
Re: Full-time Reference and Instruction Librarian
Soka University of America
1 University Drive,
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
Soka University of America is an equal opportunity employer