Rank: Senior Assistant Librarian, Tenure-Track
Full-time, 12-month position
This position will remain open until filled. Applicants expecting to be considered for the Instruction and Web Services Librarian position must complete their online application and submit requested materials to Human Resource by close of business day on May 17, 2019 to receive priority consideration. Review of applications will begin May 20, 2019.
The California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) Library invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position of Senior Assistant Librarian. The successful candidate will have a vision for instruction and library service that is student-centered and evidence-driven. The candidate must be comfortable working in a highly collaborative instruction program. The candidate will demonstrate an understanding of successful pedagogy, as well as imagination and motivation to create innovative information literacy lesson plans, to be delivered both in-person and online, while maintaining a commitment to assessment of student learning. The candidate will demonstrate knowledge and commitment to website usability and optimization for library services and instruction.
About California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime): Located on a compact but scenic waterfront campus in Vallejo, California (30 miles northeast of San Francisco), California State University Maritime Academy (Cal Maritime) is a unique and specialized campus of the 23-campus California State University (CSU) system. Serving a population of approximately 1100 undergraduate and 50 graduate students, we are one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States — and the only one on the West Coast. Cal Maritime offers six baccalaureate degrees in Business Administration, Global Studies and Maritime Affairs (GSMA), Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering, and Marine Transportation. The undergraduate curriculum includes licensing programs for future merchant marine, coast guard and naval reserve officers. Cal Maritime also offers a Master of Science in Transportation and Engineering Management degree. For more information about California State University Maritime Academy, please visit our web page at http://www.csum.edu.
Our programs focus on intellectual learning, applied technology, leadership development, and global awareness. Cal Maritime students participate in training cruises aboard the Training Ship Golden Bear or other international educational experiences – gaining a unique perspective on our increasingly global culture and economy. Cal Maritime is committed to being a leading educational institution recognized for excellence in the business, engineering, operations, security and policy of the transportation industries of the Pacific Rim and beyond. We are equally committed to hiring and retaining diverse and dedicated faculty and staff who lead the way in helping our students expand their knowledge and potential.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach one or more sections of a 2-unit first-year information literacy course each semester
- Teach course-integrated research skills and concepts in the Marine Transportation and Business programs
- Serve as the systems administrator for the Library’s website
- Develop, design, and continuously improve the Library website’s architecture and integration of web-based services and instruction, in collaboration with other Library faculty and staff
- Develop and maintain instructional videos, web-based guides, and online tutorials for information literacy instruction, including material for the online Masters program
- Work with faculty in Marine Transportation and Business programs to integrate information literacy into the curriculum
- Provide multidisciplinary reference service in-person and online
- Share in collection development responsibilities for the Marine Transportation and Business programs
- Create professional development opportunities for faculty related to research and related technology
- Participate in information literacy assessment at the program and institution level
- Participate in Library outreach activities to students, staff, and faculty
- Maintain awareness of trends and developments in technology and higher education
- Participate in faculty governance
- Other duties as assigned
In addition, as tenure-track faculty, the candidate must meet the Retention, Tenure, and Promotion (RTP) requirements for teaching, scholarship, and service to the campus and community.
- An MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent
- Demonstrated understanding of the ACRL Information Literacy Standards and Framework
- Successful teaching experience
- Successful experience developing and assessing online instruction
- Successful experience with website administration on either Springshare or other Bootstrap platform
- Experience with information resources used in academic libraries
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Ability and desire to work both collaboratively and independently
- Evidence of initiative, creativity, and resourcefulness
- Commitment to professional development, especially regarding pedagogy and technology
- A sense of humor, fun, and enthusiasm
In addition, we welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, research, or service has prepared them to contribute to nurturing diversity and inclusion in their program activities.
- At least three years’ experience teaching information literacy at the post-secondary level
- Experience with business and management information resources used in academic libraries
- Understanding of a variety of assessment techniques and trends in library instruction
- Experience using instructional technology for creation of instructional videos and online tutorials
- Interest in or knowledge of maritime history, industry, and subjects
Special Requirements: The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Physical and Environmental Conditions: Typical classroom and office environment are in two-story building with elevator access.
Salary Compensation: Salary is commensurate with the education, qualifications, and experience.
Benefits: An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available for qualifying positions, which includes medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurances, retirement plans, fee waiver, vacation, and sick leave.
Eligibility to Work:
- Applicants must provide proof of US citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days from the date of hire.
- A background check investigation (including criminal records check) is required prior to employment. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
- Applicants must submit on hire official documentation as proof of degree, license, and/or certificates as required.
Application Process: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application packet of information requested below. Apply on-line at http://www.csum.edu/web/hr/fel
- Cal Maritime Employment Application (required)
- Letter of interest
- Curriculum vitae
- Names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references
Notification: Based upon a review of the CV and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified by email.
Disclaimer: The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or changed.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with a Disability