California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB) seeks a creative, service-oriented, and innovative professional to serve as the University Archivist. This full-time, tenure-track faculty position will report to the Dean of the Library and will provide leadership, management, and oversight of the University Archives and of selected archives of local groups and individuals.
- Leadership and Management
Provides leadership for the selection, description, and preservation of the Archives. Implements policies, procedures, and standards for effective operation and maintenance of the Archives.
- Collection Development, Processing and Digital Initiatives
Develops and preserves collections. Designs and builds access tools. Directs work on both preservation and access digitization. Contributes to development of the main library collections.
Promotes the Archives to the campus and local communities.
- Reference and Instruction
Provides reference and instruction services.
- MLS, MLIS, or MS degree from an ALA-accredited program.
- Demonstrated knowledge of archives/special collections management, archival methodology, preservation techniques, and archives/special collections reference service.
- Experience describing collections using bibliographic records, finding aids, indexes, etc.
- Demonstrated awareness and experience understanding the needs of a student population of great diversity – in age, cultural background, ethnicity, primary language, and academic preparation – through course materials and teaching strategies.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
All tenure-track librarians must engage in the requisite research, creative work, and service to meet the retention, tenure, and promotion standards for faculty at the university. The library provides support for and fosters intellectual endeavors, and values librarians as faculty with their own research interests.
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital content metadata standards.
- Demonstrated experience with digital repository platforms.
- Demonstrated experience with digital preservation tools.
- Supervisory experience.
- Teaching experience.
- Membership in Academy of Certified Archivists.
- Experience with donor relations.
The city of San Bernardino is uniquely situated just a 1-2 hour drive away from beaches, mountains, deserts, and the city of Los Angeles.
We encourage applicants from historically underrepresented and marginalized populations to help us fulfill the library’s mission of serving a diverse community.
Terms of Appointment: This is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position with CSU Faculty Bargaining Unit 3. The appointment rank (Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian) and salary ($65,364-$85,000) are commensurate with qualifications and experience.
In order to secure tenure and promotion, the successful candidate must meet expectations in three areas—Professional Assignments; Research, Scholarly, or Creative Contributions; and University and/or Community Service—as defined by the Faculty Senate Committee, library faculty, and library and division administration. Benefits: Generous medical, dental and vision benefits, and CalPERS Retirement, as well as Social Security and Medicare. Support for moving expenses available.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position within the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
To receive consideration, you must submit ALL of the following:
- Apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/csusb/jobs/2490635
- Letter of interest.
- Resume or CV.
- Unofficial transcripts of all graduate work.
- Three letters of recommendation no more than two years old from individuals qualified to comment (although they may refer to events that are older).
- A Diversity Statement which may include your interpretation of diversity, inclusion, or gender equity, and must include specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, background/philosophy have prepared you for this role of University Archivist at California State University, San Bernardino (maximum 250 words).
Your file MUST contain all of the above. Applicants selected for in-person interviews will be reimbursed for all travel expenses incurred.
First consideration given to applicants who have completed their files by August 16, 2019. Position is open until filled. Questions? Contact Barbara Quarton, Chair of the Search Committee, firstname.lastname@example.org.