Position: Library Technical Assistant III
Position Code: 4249
Department: Armacost Library
Months/Hours: 12 Month/40 Hour
Schedule: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm during fall and spring semesters. Hours vary during May Term and summer months. Hours are subject to change depending on needs of the department.
Starting Salary Range: $16.32 per hour
Introductory Period: Six (6) months
Posting Date: August 16, 2019
Application Deadline: September 6, 2019 at 2:00 p.m.
Description: The Armacost Library seeks a collegial and service-oriented person to join our small and robust technical services team. Staff members in technical services are responsible for supporting patron-centered service as it pertains to acquisitions, receiving, cataloging, and processing physical and electronic materials, electronic resource and library systems management, and collections maintenance and repair. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to: copy cataloging; managing book funds; claiming missing materials; supporting government documents and periodicals’ processing and maintenance; and managing electronic resource usage statistics and other data provided by vendors. All members of the technical services team participate in training student staff; contribute to the development of documentation and training materials; and identify opportunities for service and technical improvements. In addition to their regular duties, the person in this position may participate in library-wide committees/teams/groups or projects and will perform other duties as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Identifies bibliographic records by control numbers, tags, and subfields for downloading form OCLC or other bibliographic utilities to online library catalog.
- Catalogs new materials; searches and retrieves preliminary MARC – format records from OCLC or other bibliographic source; edits records; assigns classification numbers, verifies proper subject headings.
- Updates records of holdings, title changes, and frequencies of periodicals, journals, and monographs and assigns barcodes.
- Claims missing, lost and not-received periodicals, journals, and newspapers; organizes loose journal issues on shelves.
- Collects metrics that enhance our library’s ability to implement data-driven decision-making.
- Receives, claims, and deselects government depository material.
- Contributes to team by accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Maintains department confidence and safeguard operations by keeping information confidential.
- Adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned or directed.
Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent with at least two years of current library experience (within five years), or an Associate’s degree (or equivalent 72 quarter hours/48 semester hours) with one year current library experience, and proficiency with an integrated library system (preferably Ex Libris Alma). Considerable knowledge of library technical services, systems, procedures, methods and techniques, record-keeping, word processing and software programs. Successful candidate must possess excellent organizational and communication skills both verbal and written; have good independent judgment and a demonstrated ability to set priorities; be able to maintain multiple ongoing tasks on a tight deadline; work cooperatively with co-workers, supervisors, faculty and students. Must be able to competently interact with a diverse population of students, staff and faculty; we encourage those who embrace empathy, self-reflection, and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse and inclusive workplace to apply.
In compliance with The Americans with Disabilities Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call 909-748-8040.
To Apply: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/HRStaffEmployment/. Applications received after the deadline specified on the job announcement will not be considered.
For More Information: Call 909-748-8040 or visit: https://www.redlands.edu/human-resources/
Submission of a resume or application indicates agreement that the university may verify any and all information contained therein
Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply
An equal opportunity employer