Health and Life Sciences Librarian, Non-Tenure Track
San Francisco State University’s J. Paul Leonard Library is a busy, teaching-oriented institution supporting a community of 30,000 students as well as faculty and staff. The collections include more than one million items in all formats, including an extensive collection of online databases and full-text resources. The SFSU library uses and contributes to Ex Libris’ Alma/Primo, which is shared by all 23 libraries in the CSU System.
The Health and Life Sciences Librarian is responsible for direct outreach to and engagement with the health related departments in the College of Health and Social Sciences, including Clinical Laboratory Science, Health Education, Kinesiology, Nursing, and Physical Therapy, and the life sciences programs in the Biology Department in the College of Science and Engineering. This position is part of a team of liaison librarians who proactively develop partnerships with faculty to develop and deliver services that support the university’s teaching, learning, and research initiatives. In that capacity, the Health and Life Sciences Liaison Librarian will develop knowledge of both the research practices of students and professors in the assigned subject areas as well as scholarly communication trends in the health and life sciences fields. In addition to the focus on the health and life sciences, this position is also responsible for working collaboratively with other liaison librarians in the development, planning, delivery, and assessment of research assistance, collections, information literacy, user experience, and student success library initiatives. Responsibilities include providing online and face-to-face research assistance to the San Francisco State community; being part of a team responsible for teaching lower division information literacy instruction sessions and leading orientations and tours; participating in the development of online guides, videos, tutorials, and other outreach and instructional materials; contributing to collection development related projects; and reviewing, updating, and adding to the library’s FAQ as needed.
ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent.
- Academic background, experience, or interest in the health and life sciences (particularly nursing, kinesiology, nutrition and dietetics, physical therapy, and biology).
- Experience providing research assistance both face-to-face and online.
- Teaching or training experience, including the development of student learning outcomes, the use of active learning strategies, and the creation and use of assessments that measure student learning.
- Experience creating online research guides, instructional videos, tutorials, and/or other digital learning objects and instructional support materials.
- Experience engaging in outreach initiatives or designing outreach materials that promote an organization’s resources, services, and/or programming.
- Collection development experience.
- Experience using Springshare’s suite of products (e.g., LibGuides,
- LibAnswers, LibChat, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Strong commitment to equity and inclusion and the ability to work effectively and collegially with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds.
Rank and Salary
Appointment is expected to be equivalent to the rank of Assistant or Senior Assistant Librarian with salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Time base is up to full-time.
Submit a letter of intent/interest, a current CV, and the names and contact information of three references to Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator: email@example.com, 415-338-3641.
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the Senior Human Resources Manager.